"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs

Old 06-24-2008, 01:51 AM   #11
Master Chef

I usually have a bottle of ReaLemon in the fridge ... left over from making jam/jellies and such.

Does it taste the "same" as fresh? Nope! Do all fresh lemons grown in California taste the same as all fresh lemons grown in Florida? Nope.

I use both bottled and fresh - depends on the application and what is available, and in season.

If you read the label on the bottled juice - it will tell you the "conversion" factor, if there is one. Normally - bottled juice is 1:1 with fresh juice.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:47 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Adding a little lemon juice to a dog's water is supposed to help with dogs who get upset by a water change. Not sure if it works the same for people.
Yep, it does. I just tested it - changed my water, added a bit of lemon juice, and I wasn't upset at all!

Old 06-24-2008, 05:43 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
What? No lemons in Mexico? I'm surprised.
Nope, not really. Occasionally, I will find some. The store I frequent (Mega - Clienta will recognize) sometimes has a fruit that is shaped like lemons, smells like lemons, and has skin that is yellow and green. When you cut it open, it is sweeter, more like a Meyer lemon. This is what I use for my lemon pound cake, and it works just great. But like, Clienta, I am reduced to using bottled lemon juice when nothing else will work. Last time I was in the states, I bought some dehydrated lemon zest (I know, I know...) but it is better than nothing. Limes (limones) are king here. And they are wonderful - I bought beautiful bright green limones today at the market for 50 centavos (one nickel) per kilo. Really!
Old 06-24-2008, 06:34 PM   #14
Master Chef

Site Moderator

I keep a bottle on hand for emergencies or when I don't need the juice of a whole lemon and wouldn't be using the other half anytime soon.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:08 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

i use both. only place i didnot like the plastic stuff is over german crepes. so use fresh there. babe
Old 06-25-2008, 10:22 PM   #16
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I'm supposed to drink lemonade every day (for kidney stones), and while I don't drink it every day I do drink it as often as possible. Produce is very expensive in this area, so I use ReaLemon most of the time. For cooking I usually use True Lemon and True Lime (powdered lemon juice and lime juice). I also sometimes sprinkle a little of it on an avocado. Would I use fresh every time if possible? Of course. But these are decent substitutes, so I see nothing wrong with using them.

Barbara
Old 06-26-2008, 06:24 AM   #17
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
...Produce is very expensive in this area,
Barbara
It is getting expensive all around. I paid 50 cents apiece for lemons that were about the size of small plums. I have already started freezing the rinds for lemon zest when I am just using the juice. I have been thinking of freezing the juice in ice cube trays when I cannot use it all. Anyone know how well it holds up in the freezer?

Tags
None