"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs

Old 09-05-2008, 09:34 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Making gravy questions

This is a little early, but better to be early than late. My question is: Is it possible to make a gravy (from roasting a turkey) in a nonstick roasting pan? I have this pan (http://calphalon.com/calphalon/consu...Id=CLCat100405) and I have never, ever had success in creating a gravy or sauce from the drippings. Do I need a regular roasting pan in order to achieve a decent gravy? If yes, would this one be good/acceptable: http://calphalon.com/calphalon/consu...Id=CLCat100450 ? (Or other recommendations, I just tend to gravitate towards Calphalon because I already own cookware from them)

Old 09-05-2008, 10:05 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm certainly no expert on making gravy, but when I do make it I always grab a SS pan, because of the little bits of food (fond) that accumulate and then lift off when you deglaze the pan. However, you get those "goodies" when you use a non-stick pan, too, they just don't need deglazed because they don't stick to the pan, which does (I think) alter their flavor. I think my main reason for grabbing a SS pan is because I can grab a fork or whisk and not worry about scratching the pan.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:06 AM   #3
Master Chef

Have you tried making a light roux of flour and butter and then stirring into your pan drippings? Then you just bring it to a boil and stir until it's thickened.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:34 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

If you raost the turkey on a rack in the roasting pan, the type of pan makes little difference. With the bird not being in contact with the pan surface, there will be no difference in the amount of fond in the pan. Go ahead and make your gravy.

Generally, plain (not nonstick) roasting pans are preferred when you are putting the roast directly into the pan as the stuff that sticks to the pan (fond) adds great flavor to the gravy or sauce you are making. If you use a nonstick pan, the fond sticks to the meat and you taste it there. instead.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
Sous Chef

when im making a pan gravy ill add some chicken stock to deglaze the pan after i roast it. gives it a ncie flavor and stuff.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:07 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

How do you make your gravy? Do you use flour or cornstarch? Or a roux? I have always used a nonstick roasting pan, and always get compliments on my gravy. I think using a roux is less traditional, but tastes the best. I seperate the drippings, pour some of the fat off into a small saute pan and the rest I toss. The juices go back in the roasting pan. I mix some flour into the hot fat and whisk until it's light brown, then whisk it back into the remaining drippings until thickened. It always turns out great.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:08 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Sorry for this. someone was telling "constance" where to find Pillsbury Gravy Flour, and I didn't get the whole answer! Anyone? I've searched the stores and can no longer find it! Help!
Old 11-01-2008, 06:12 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Look for Wondra. It's sold in a light blue cylindrical canister.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:57 PM   #9
Sous Chef

I myself like an SS pan as well and I get rid of most of the fat (75%) and I use cornstarch with cold chicken or veggie stock and I comes out great imho.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:02 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Something I've been noticing, and maybe it's just me, is that if I fry something using EVOO it incorporates into the gravy much more easily than if I use canola oil. Canola oil and I need to remember to dump some.

Tags
None