"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs

Old 10-18-2005, 05:17 PM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

Question Malt Vinegar

I just picked up a bottle of this stuff. I love it with fish and chips. That is the only thing I have ever used it for though. What are some other ways I can use this delicious vinegar?

Old 10-18-2005, 06:23 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

GB, I use it the same way...My DH like tartar sauce with his fish so I make him one with mayo, garlic, chopped dill pickles I add a little of the malt vinegar to thin the mayo and give the tartar sauce a little bit of a tart taste instead of sweet...I also use it mixed with evoo to put on cooked greens like spinach... and on occasion I've mixed it with evoo for a dressing for salads...

kadesma

Old 10-18-2005, 06:52 PM   #3
Hospitality Queen

While I prefer rice vinegar on cucumber slices, malt is a very close second!
Old 10-18-2005, 07:47 PM   #4
Master Chef

i love malt vinegar. my Dad does, too, and started buying it after he tried mine. you know, i've found that it is really good on mild fish such as cod, tilapia..... it kind of takes the place of lemon. not just fried fish, also broiled, baked, along those lines. i was pleasantly surprised after trying it on a salad, too.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:50 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Around here, it seems that Malt Vinegar is King for French Fry condiments. In fact, the local county fair will have several stands serving fries and malt vinegar. The vinegar is spray misters, and you just spritz your fries with as much vinegar as you want when they give you your fries.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:58 PM   #6
Executive Chef

vinegar is great on a baked potato with salt and pepper, and that really helps on a low fat diet. also good on french fries (not great for low fat) fine for many salad dressings etc.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:04 PM   #7
Executive Chef

We love it on fish and chips too, but my hubby likes to use malt vinegar in pickled onions, which I hate, but hey it's an idea.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:21 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Until a few years ago, I'd never tried any other kind of vinegar, except white vinegar as a cleaner.

I use it to make my own mayonnaise (just stir together some sweetened condensed milk with enough vinegar to give the consistency you want - add herbs or mustard to taste if desired.)

And I use it to serve with roast lamb (any roasts, actually) in the real old-fashioned Mint Sauce.

Mint Sauce

2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint (spearmint is best)

1 tablespoon sugar

1 tablespoon boiling water

1/2 cup vinegar

Wash and dry the mint, remove stalks, chop finely and add sugar. Pour in the boiling water. Add vinegar and stir well. Serve with roast lamb. [Note: if you combine the leaves and sugar first, it will make the leaves easier to chop, so they don't cling to the cutters or knife

Old 10-18-2005, 11:08 PM   #9
Head Chef

Try it in your next potato salad!!! I prefer using the malt vinegar to the white anymore. I have even used it in macaroni salad with great results.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:28 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:

I use it to make my own mayonnaise (just stir together some sweetened condensed milk with enough vinegar to give the consistency you want - add herbs or mustard to taste if desired.)
Argh. Gag.

I'm sorry but that sounds vile. Many a French chef lying dead and buried in the ground just died a second death.

Tags
None