Malt Vinegar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I just picked up a bottle of this stuff. I love it with fish and chips. That is the only thing I have ever used it for though. What are some other ways I can use this delicious vinegar?

GB, I use it the same way...My DH like tartar sauce with his fish so I make him one with mayo, garlic, chopped dill pickles I add a little of the malt vinegar to thin the mayo and give the tartar sauce a little bit of a tart taste instead of sweet...I also use it mixed with evoo to put on cooked greens like spinach... and on occasion I've mixed it with evoo for a dressing for salads...

kadesma

i love malt vinegar. my Dad does, too, and started buying it after he tried mine. you know, i've found that it is really good on mild fish such as cod, tilapia..... it kind of takes the place of lemon. not just fried fish, also broiled, baked, along those lines. i was pleasantly surprised after trying it on a salad, too.:)

Around here, it seems that Malt Vinegar is King for French Fry condiments. In fact, the local county fair will have several stands serving fries and malt vinegar. The vinegar is spray misters, and you just spritz your fries with as much vinegar as you want when they give you your fries.

vinegar is great on a baked potato with salt and pepper, and that really helps on a low fat diet. also good on french fries (not great for low fat) fine for many salad dressings etc.

We love it on fish and chips too, but my hubby likes to use malt vinegar in pickled onions, which I hate, but hey it's an idea.

Until a few years ago, I'd never tried any other kind of vinegar, except white vinegar as a cleaner.

I use it to make my own mayonnaise (just stir together some sweetened condensed milk with enough vinegar to give the consistency you want - add herbs or mustard to taste if desired.)

And I use it to serve with roast lamb (any roasts, actually) in the real old-fashioned Mint Sauce.

Mint Sauce

2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint (spearmint is best)

1 tablespoon sugar

1 tablespoon boiling water

1/2 cup vinegar

Wash and dry the mint, remove stalks, chop finely and add sugar. Pour in the boiling water. Add vinegar and stir well. Serve with roast lamb. [Note: if you combine the leaves and sugar first, it will make the leaves easier to chop, so they don't cling to the cutters or knife

Try it in your next potato salad!!! I prefer using the malt vinegar to the white anymore. I have even used it in macaroni salad with great results.

I use it to make my own mayonnaise (just stir together some sweetened condensed milk with enough vinegar to give the consistency you want - add herbs or mustard to taste if desired.)

Argh. Gag.

I'm sorry but that sounds vile. Many a French chef lying dead and buried in the ground just died a second death.

Last edited:
I never use any other mayonnaise. I think the bought ones have a horrible glutinous consistency, and home-made egg mayonnaise is awful (both to make and to eat). Nothing more gross than an egg mayonnaise ill-prepared!

Don't knock it until you try it. I like mine with Hot English Mustard. It goes well with just about any salad (cucumber, greens, coleslaw, potato etc), and it makes an excellent Tartare Sauce for fish with chopped gherkins added.

Ahem - well, back on the malt vinegar questions - I sub out malt for apple cider vinegar in just about anything - it's got the same mild, slightly sweet flavor as applie cider. Here's a vinaigrette recipe using malt vinegar -

PEANUT OIL AND MALT VINEGAR SALAD DRESSING

makes 1 quart

20 oz.peanut oil
10 oz. malt vinegar
2oz.dark brown sugar
2T tarragon
2T chives
2T parsley
2tsp.minced garlic
salt/pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients and whisk; let age for 24 hours before using; whisk again before serving.

I don't like the white distilled vinegar, and use malt for most things where a more 'exotic' vinegar like cider, wine or balsamic are inappropriate!

I use it to make my home made mint sauce for lamb dishes - it has a little more 'bite' than the white stuff (IMO).

Back
Top Bottom