Marinading 101: Need Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I make a lot of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, and find marinading (marinating?) improves the flavor a lot.

I know the plastic bags work really well, but I'm trying to be greener, and the waste of it really bothers me.

When I just marinate in a glass container, though, I find myself using a lot more of the marinade.

I've seen those vacuum marinaders, but don't want to put any money into one till I know more about them.

What is the best way to marinade?

Thanks.

Could you wash out the bag, label it and just use that only for chicken marinades? That is a touchy subject due to salmonella.

Good question, Sean.

Off subject, but have you tried injecting? There is a cajun butter that is in Bass Pro and probably Cabela's that I hear is really good. They have different flavors, too. I've only injected brisket...once.

Use a large freezer bag (they're heavier), and when washing it out after marinading in it, use a strong detergent and a half a dozen drops of chlorine bleach. Mix it around inside of the bag, and then let it soak for a few minutes before a thorough rinsing and letting it dry upside down.

Marinate the chicken in the smallest container that will hold it so you don't need as much marinade.

Washing out a plastic bag uses energy and puts soap residue into the environment.

Try brining instead of marinading. This is another way of introducing flavor (like with a marinade), but you can do it in a reusable container that can be washed and reused.

Marinate the chicken in the smallest container that will hold it so you don't need as much marinade.

Washing out a plastic bag uses energy and puts soap residue into the environment.

It seems to me that using ANY sort of reusable container is going to require the use of energy (a little hot water and some elbow grease), and there are eco-friendly detergents that would be very suitable for this task. Soap residue is going to get into the environment no matter what the container.

The use of a tiny amount of chlorine may not be ideal, but when risking the health of your family from salmonella, sometimes compromises need to be made.

try a smaller tupperware type container. I do not know how much you are making at time but the container should be just a little larger then breast all layed out flat in one layer.

try a smaller tupperware type container. I do not know how much you are making at time but the container should be just a little larger then breast all layed out flat in one layer.

I second that. There are all kind and types are on the market nowadays. They are inexpensive and dishwasher safe.

Just got to think'n, surpise!:mrgreen: If you can clean a plastic container, then why can't you clean(and be safe) a plastic bag? :unsure:

Thanks babetoo. I think my wife has already replaced it for me (but I am not supposed to know yet). Thank you for the offer though. That is very kind of you.

Thanks so much for all the responses. What about those vacuum marinaders, do they work?

I’ve used the vacuum tumblers (or marinaders) and they are great when you are in a hurry. Better for brining however which is probably because brining is a longer process in most applications.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom