"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-22-2011, 12:27 AM   #11
Assistant Cook
 
Tamileen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
Dried herbs are often preferred . Only use fresh at the end of cooking; dried toward the start.

And good quality canned tomatoes are often better for sauce than fresh tomatoes.
Are you saying, basil for instance, use dried at beginning of sauce and fresh toward end of cooking?
__________________

__________________
Tamileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:44 AM   #12
The Dude Abides
 
TATTRAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bermuda Native in D.C./NoVA
Posts: 5,324
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Dried herbs are often preferred . Only use fresh at the end of cooking; dried toward the start.

And good quality canned tomatoes are often better for sauce than fresh tomatoes.
Basically what I came in to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamileen View Post
Are you saying, basil for instance, use dried at beginning of sauce and fresh toward end of cooking?
That is the idea, and a general rule of thumb. Dried in the beginning, always finish with fresh. And salt in the finish too, reduction will intensify all your flavors, including salt, so leave that for near last.

Also, on the canned tomato part, canned San Marzano tomatoes are all you need to look for. You can certainly use fresh, but you have to hull, score, blanch, peel, mash. . .it is just a silly amount of work considering the quality of good canned tomatoes out there.
__________________

__________________
flickr
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:05 AM   #13
Assistant Cook
 
Christina1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT

Basically what I came in to say

That is the idea, and a general rule of thumb. Dried in the beginning, always finish with fresh. And salt in the finish too, reduction will intensify all your flavors, including salt, so leave that for near last.

Also, on the canned tomato part, canned San Marzano tomatoes are all you need to look for. You can certainly use fresh, but you have to hull, score, blanch, peel, mash. . .it is just a silly amount of work considering the quality of good canned tomatoes out there.
Yes I knew about when to use fresh or dried herbs. I like the flavor of fresh herbs so that's probably what I'll use.

As for the amount of work, I don't mind. I want to make it using fresh tomatoes for the experience. Afterwards, i'll probably use canned to save time. I just started cooking again and i'm trying new recipes that used to intimidate me. It's fun for me and makes me happy to say that I made it from scratch.
__________________
Christina1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:09 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina1979 View Post
Yes I knew about when to use fresh or dried herbs. I like the flavor of fresh herbs so that's probably what I'll use.

As for the amount of work, I don't mind. I want to make it using fresh tomatoes for the experience. Afterwards, i'll probably use canned to save time. I just started cooking again and i'm trying new recipes that used to intimidate me. It's fun for me and makes me happy to say that I made it from scratch.
I too think it would be fun making the sauce from scratch.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:57 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,303
I'm with those who recommend roasting the tomatoes. I recently made a chili where I roasted 1/2 the tomatoes and used a jar of home-canned tomatoes. The ones I roasted were Romas, the canned were Brandywines. I drained the juice from the canned ones. I plucked the skins from the roasted ones, tossed them in the FP with roasted garlic, and added the two batches of tomatoes to the chili. The roasted tomato sauce was similar to tomato paste--it also had a very intense tomato taste. I have more roasted tomato sauce (just EVOO, S&P) in the freezer. Even though I am not fond of spaghetti, I do like other dishes (lasagne, etc) and will probably use the tomato sauce for one of those as winter approaches. I always add the fresh herbs at the end.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:27 PM   #16
Assistant Cook
 
Christina1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
I'm with those who recommend roasting the tomatoes. I recently made a chili where I roasted 1/2 the tomatoes and used a jar of home-canned tomatoes. The ones I roasted were Romas, the canned were Brandywines. I drained the juice from the canned ones. I plucked the skins from the roasted ones, tossed them in the FP with roasted garlic, and added the two batches of tomatoes to the chili. The roasted tomato sauce was similar to tomato paste--it also had a very intense tomato taste. I have more roasted tomato sauce (just EVOO, S&P) in the freezer. Even though I am not fond of spaghetti, I do like other dishes (lasagne, etc) and will probably use the tomato sauce for one of those as winter approaches. I always add the fresh herbs at the end.
How long did you roast them for?
__________________
Christina1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:29 PM   #17
Executive Chef
 
Sir_Loin_of_Beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sir Francis Drake Hotel
Posts: 4,886
When I make a simple marinara sauce, the only seasonings I use are onion, sautÚd until soft but not browned, and salt and pepper. You'd be surprised how fresh your sauce tastes without all that added herbs to confuse your taste buds.
__________________
Life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffett
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:34 PM   #18
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,474
Fresh basil
fresh oregano
fresh parsley
Fresh garlic
fresh onion

PLUS dry oregano (dry oregano is the only herb in my opinion that adds a nice concentrated flavor. All other dried herbs have a very week herb flavor and not worth the money. IMHO)

I use BOTH fresh and dry oregano in my sauces.
__________________
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:37 PM   #19
Executive Chef
 
Sir_Loin_of_Beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sir Francis Drake Hotel
Posts: 4,886
The only sauce I'd put oregano in is pizza sauce!
__________________
Life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffett
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:23 PM   #20
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 47
Whole wheat spagetti and marinara sauce. Nothing like it!
__________________

__________________
MountainMath is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.