Mayonnaise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I ate one of those pickled turkey gizzards once. It wasn't bad. It had the texture of liver. Would I eat one again? No.

And I was talking about regular hard boiled eggs, not pickled.
Before small sized snack foods got so popular, bars around here, even those who ran full service kitchens, would have hard boiled eggs, swiss cheese and pepperoni sitting in jars on the counter that people would buy as a snack. I even remember eating Easter eggs as a kid that simply sat in a basket until they were gone.
Of course, this was back in the day when we carried bologna and mayonnaise sandwiches to school in a tin lunch box and they sat at room temp for hours before eaten... or lukewarm soup.

I'm guessing the lack of preservatives would make one want to use up homemade mayo more quickly than store bought. Or at least not practice what we did forty years ago.

I ate one of those pickled turkey gizzards once. It wasn't bad. It had the texture of liver. Would I eat one again? No.

And I was talking about regular hard boiled eggs, not pickled.
Before small sized snack foods got so popular, bars around here, even those who ran full service kitchens, would have hard boiled eggs, swiss cheese and pepperoni sitting in jars on the counter that people would buy as a snack. I even remember eating Easter eggs as a kid that simply sat in a basket until they were gone.
Of course, this was back in the day when we carried bologna and mayonnaise sandwiches to school in a tin lunch box and they sat at room temp for hours before eaten... or lukewarm soup.

I'm guessing the lack of preservatives would make one want to use up homemade mayo more quickly than store bought. Or at least not practice what we did forty years ago.

I think we have definitely become more conservative or squeamish over the years. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I don't remember ever seeing a jar of turkey gizzards on the bar but, we did used to have pigs knuckles and lamb's tongues in jars. My Father liked the lamb's tongues but they reminded me too much of people tongues all pressed up against the sides of the jar!

I think we have definitely become more conservative or squeamish over the years. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I don't remember ever seeing a jar of turkey gizzards on the bar but, we did used to have pigs knuckles and lamb's tongues in jars. My Father liked the lamb's tongues but they reminded me too much of people tongues all pressed up against the sides of the jar!

My favorite was always the pickled eggs. I could eat the whole jar. Hmmm.... Pickled beets and eggs. Protein and a veggie. A perfect meal. :angel:

My Father liked the lamb's tongues but they reminded me too much of people tongues all pressed up against the sides of the jar!

Mamma mia!!! :ohmy:

Never saw them tongues, but we had hard boiled eggs at bars till ten/fifteen years ago, now you can see them anymore. Except maybe in some secluded mountain village... :ninja:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom