"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2018, 02:04 AM   #1
Head Chef

Microwaved roux

Roux is basically a sauce, so I thought this forum to be appropriate.

I’ve made roux in a microwave, but it was literally decades ago, when microwaves topped out at 600 to 800 watts. It was grainy, and a PITA, believe it or not! And I followed Barbara Kafka’s instructions to the letter. (I wish she, or someone else, would update her microwave book to reflect improvements in the microwave.)

Have any of you been successful making roux in a modern microwave? A dark roux for gumbo?

Old 09-10-2018, 02:34 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I have made a roux in a conventional oven, and it took forever. I still make mine on the stovetop, which means dedicating 30 minutes of undivided attention if you are making a dark roux for something like gumbo.

I have never even heard of making a roux in the microwave. If I want to make a gumbo without taking the time to make a roux, I just buy the roux at Kroger. It is not as good, IMO, but it works. You have to put the jar of roux in a pot of simmering water for a good hour, if you want to get it out of the jar. It is like semi-hard concrete right off the shelf.

So, my advice would be to pour yourself a big glass of wine, and stand over a cast-iron pot and stir, stir, stir. Be sure to use the restroom before you start. Once you start, you are owned by your roux.

CD

Old 09-10-2018, 03:14 AM   #3
Executive Chef

By "roux" do you mean the base for sauces like béchamel ie flour and butter cooked together?
Old 09-10-2018, 04:17 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
By "roux" do you mean the base for sauces like béchamel ie flour and butter cooked together?
Yes, but the fat doesn't need to be butter.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:30 AM   #5
Master Chef

I make a dark, red brown roux in my gumbo pot in about 15 minutes using Paul Prudhomme's method.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:39 AM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I have made a roux in a conventional oven, and it took forever. I still make mine on the stovetop, which means dedicating 30 minutes of undivided attention if you are making a dark roux for something like gumbo.

I have never even heard of making a roux in the microwave. If I want to make a gumbo without taking the time to make a roux, I just buy the roux at Kroger. It is not as good, IMO, but it works. You have to put the jar of roux in a pot of simmering water for a good hour, if you want to get it out of the jar. It is like semi-hard concrete right off the shelf.

So, my advice would be to pour yourself a big glass of wine, and stand over a cast-iron pot and stir, stir, stir. Be sure to use the restroom before you start. Once you start, you are owned by your roux.

CD
I do know how to make a roux conventionally, and I do it very well. And you may not have heard of the technique, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. I suggest you google it. I did, got dozens of hits, but no “reviews.” As I originally posted, I have made roux in a microwave, in an oven that did not even come close to the power and versatility of modern microwaves; it came out grainy. I wasn’t asking for advice, particularly from someone who’s never even heard of the technique. I just wanted to know if anyone has tried it recently, and how it compares to a traditionally made roux.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:50 AM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Not exactly. The roux I’m talking about is very dark, any where from peanut butter colored to coffee colored. The darker the roux, the more delicious the flavor, but it tends to lose a lot of its thickening properties the darker it gets. And it’s ruined if you overcook it and it burns. You can use butter or oil; I prefer butter for the richness and flavor it imparts to the roux.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:47 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Alton Brown's oven method never fails and is so easy.
GA Home Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:08 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Yes, but the fat doesn't need to be butter.
In my kitchen it had better be (she sa' threateningly).
Old 09-10-2018, 02:12 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
Not exactly. The roux I’m talking about is very dark, any where from peanut butter colored to coffee colored. The darker the roux, the more delicious the flavor, but it tends to lose a lot of its thickening properties the darker it gets. And it’s ruined if you overcook it and it burns. You can use butter or oil; I prefer butter for the richness and flavor it imparts to the roux.
Well yes, the traditional (for want of a better word) roux can be like that depending on the sauce it's going to become. Surely you have more control over the results if it's done in a pan rather than the m/wave?

Tags
roux