"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2017, 10:59 PM   #1
Master Chef

Ms. Mofet's Instant Pot Lemon Curd

Makes ≈ 2 cups

1/4 cup butter (half stick)
1 1/3 cup of sugar
3/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 5 medium lemons)
1 tsp. grated lemon zest
3 large whole eggs and 1 egg yolk

Melt butter in microwave in a 4 cup measuring cup (for easy pouring).

Add sugar to melted butter and stir.

Stir in lemon juice, whole eggs, yolk and lemon zest. Mix well.

Pour into 3 - 1/2 pint (8 oz.) jars (do not over fill) put lids on and turn till just tight.

Add two cups of water to inner pot. Place jars on trivet or in a steam basket.

Lock lid and set valve to sealing.

Manual button, High Pressure, 9 minutes.

When cycle beeps completed allow 10 minutes rest time (NPR). After rest time do quick release.

When pin drops remove lid and carefully remove jars to pot holders or cooling rack (DO NOT place directly on cold surface).

Open jars and stir well. Place lids back on and cool 20 minutes then refrigerate 4 hours.

Ready to go into fridge

Cooled overnight

Added to homemade yogurt (made in the instant Pot)

msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:59 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Oh, that looks good. I'll have to try it in the pressure cooker, save me some whisking.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:52 AM   #3
Head Chef

Honestly can't remember if I've ever made Lemon Curd before, think I have, way back before time began, and this looks so scrumptious!

If you don't open the jars to stir and just tighten the lids - are they sterile and will have a shelf life?

I'm an inexperienced pressure cooker so is 9 minutes from the start of rocking good?
Old 03-17-2017, 08:00 AM   #4
Master Chef

Thank you.

No they aren't canned/preserved just cooked. Keep in fridge. Not sure how long it stays good in fridge.

I'm new at pressure cooking.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:51 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
I'm an inexperienced pressure cooker so is 9 minutes from the start of rocking good?
When you say "rocking," you're talking about a stovetop pressure cooker, right? Msmofet is using an electric pressure cooker.

Btw, you cannot safely preserve anything in a pressure cooker. You need a pressure canner for that.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:49 AM   #6
Head Chef

Thanks GG, I did not know that... so what is the difference between a pressure canner and pressure cooker. While I was shopping around the only difference I could tell about them was their size.

and yes, I knew msmofet was talking about an electric pressure cooker which was the reason I asked the question. I guess I was wrong to assume one would know I was talking about a stove top pressure cooker when I referred to the "rocking".
Old 03-17-2017, 11:27 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Thanks GG, I did not know that... so what is the difference between a pressure canner and pressure cooker. While I was shopping around the only difference I could tell about them was their size.

and yes, I knew msmofet was talking about an electric pressure cooker which was the reason I asked the question. I guess I was wrong to assume one would know I was talking about a stove top pressure cooker when I referred to the "rocking".
This has a lot of information: http://www.healthycanning.com/pressu...ssure-canners/

In a nutshell, pressure cookers may not heat up or cool down evenly enough or maintain pressure properly to ensure safe canning of low-acid foods. Pressure canners have features that maintain a specific pressure for a specific period of time.

I mentioned that she has an electric pressure cooker because the rocker has no equivalent in the electric type. Times may vary because of the difference in how the electric and stovetop versions heat up.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:08 AM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
.... is 9 minutes from the start of rocking good?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Times may vary because of the difference in how the electric and stovetop versions heat up.
So in a nutshell, the answer is well... unknown but most probably not.

Thanks for the link GG, appreciated!
Old 03-20-2017, 01:25 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
That sounds good. Does it keep as long as conventional lemon curd (I know, that doesn't keep very long either!)?
Old 03-20-2017, 07:14 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
That sounds good. Does it keep as long as conventional lemon curd (I know, that doesn't keep very long either!)?
I only made it once and it didn't last long. So I really can't answer the question.

Tags
lemon, recipe

« Tahini | - »
Ms. Mofet's Instant Pot Lemon Curd [B][U]Ms. Mofet's Instant Pot Lemon Curd[/U][/B] Makes ≈ 2 cups 1/4 cup butter (half stick) 1 1/3 cup of sugar 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 5 medium lemons) 1 tsp. grated lemon zest 3 large whole eggs and 1 egg yolk Melt butter in microwave in a 4 cup measuring cup (for easy pouring). Add sugar to melted butter and stir. Stir in lemon juice, whole eggs, yolk and lemon zest. Mix well. Pour into 3 - 1/2 pint (8 oz.) jars (do not over fill) put lids on and turn till just tight. Add two cups of water to inner pot. Place jars on trivet or in a steam basket. Lock lid and set valve to sealing. Manual button, High Pressure, 9 minutes. When cycle beeps completed allow 10 minutes rest time (NPR). After rest time do quick release. When pin drops remove lid and carefully remove jars to pot holders or cooling rack (DO NOT place directly on cold surface). Open jars and stir well. Place lids back on and cool 20 minutes then refrigerate 4 hours. Ready to go into fridge [IMG]http://www.discusscooking.com/attachments/photobucket/img_1502982_0_caa56c1c7662d0c08e7b4aca670cdae6.jpg[/IMG] Cooled overnight [IMG]http://www.discusscooking.com/attachments/photobucket/img_1502982_1_35c423ec9b112097d179d522e8f0ac89.jpg[/IMG] Added to homemade yogurt (made in the instant Pot) [IMG]http://www.discusscooking.com/attachments/photobucket/img_1502982_2_551356eb850f14f0b77d3f9c53f7d9b7.jpg[/IMG] 3 stars 1 reviews