Mustard Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WHOO HOOO GG...you're all set with that bay tree! He said you can order them on line for $9.00 lb.

WOW. A pound is a whole lot of bay leaves, though. Probably a lifetime supply lol

I should call it a shrub ;) We cut down the trunks a couple years ago, because we thought it died during the deep winter freeze. Then it came back from the roots. That's it behind and to the left of the flag.

Attachments

• May 2016-edited.jpg
    May 2016-edited.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 236
Getting back to Eric the OP's question, but staying with the jerk talk, I've made a dish with from-scratch spices and I've used The Spice House's "Jamaican Jerk Seasoning" with equal results. For easy of use, I suggest the bought blend.

To make a marinade, you mix the seasoning mix with various amounts of oil, soy sauce, vinegar, orange juice, and lime juice and refrigerate overnight. I'm lazy and don't always plan ahead, so I was perfectly happy with making a thicker slurry and smearing it all over, wrapping in plastic wrap, and letting it rest in the fridge for a couple of hours, then about a half hour on the counter, before Himself took it out to the grill to cook it.

That mix does have some heat, Kayelle, but a good kind of heat. Not the kind that makes you run for a spoon and the nearest carton of vanilla ice cream heat! I've also used the jerk seasoning on boneless pork chops - brine with orange juice as your acid, then carefully grill the seasoned chops. Drooling!

What a beautiful picture of your garden GG !

CG after comparing the ingredients of the available Jerk mixes at different sites, I'm buying this one, primarily because it seems to contain less heat. One can always add more heat, but you sure can't take it away. ;)
This is where you get yours Rick?

Jamaican Jerk Seasoning | Savory Spice

Yes. And it is pretty mild. Even though they use Scotch bonnet peppers, it's last listed ingredient, so that means it's the least quantity.

Also for the marinade, you can add orange juice as someone mentioned above, or I sometimes like to add pineapple juice to a chicken marinade.

Last edited:
Yes. And it is pretty mild. Even though they use Scotch bonnet peppers, it's last listed ingredient, so that means it's the least quantity.

Also for the marinade, you can add orange juice as someone mentioned above, or I sometimes like to add pineapple juice to a chicken marinade.

Yes, and the mix you've chosen closely matches the Jerk of Jamaica I experienced without other spices from other influences. Jamaica has no idea what a jalapeno is for example. The mix from Savoy sounds right to me..Toasted onion, salt, allspice, garlic, sugar, Mediterranean thyme, chives, black pepper, nutmeg, Saigon cinnamon, sage and scotch bonnet chiles.

Last edited:
I would like a new sauce for grilled chicken..

I am burnt out on red bbq sauce

but the recipes for yellow sauce go from Honey Mustard for salads or dipping wings to what looks like very sour Carolina Mustard bbq sauce..

any Ideas on this?

I was thinking more like cook some onion, garlic and peppers

add white wine and reduse

then add some mustard powder?

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx

Eric, I guess we got off topic somewhat with Jerk chicken talk, but on the other hand, you can see there's a whole new world of options for grilled chicken without red barbecue sauce. I hope the ideas were helpful to you. ;)

Back
Top Bottom