Mustard Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
I would like a new sauce for grilled chicken..

I am burnt out on red bbq sauce

but the recipes for yellow sauce go from Honey Mustard for salads or dipping wings to what looks like very sour Carolina Mustard bbq sauce..

any Ideas on this?

I was thinking more like cook some onion, garlic and peppers

add white wine and reduse

then add some mustard powder?

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx

I've done the following a few times:

4 Chicken breasts (split)
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, mashed
2 Tbsp. onion, minced
1/4 tsp. rosemary
marinate chicken 45 minutes before grilling

If you like honey mustard, combine equal parts dijon mustard, honey, and lime juice. Marinate the meat in some of the honey mustard sauce before grilling, save some for dipping. I usually cut the meat into large strips before marinating. Goes very well with turkey or chicken. Also works as a pan sauce for sauteed turkey or chicken cutlets.

We've got a 3-mustard chicken marinade/sauce that uses a German mustard, chinese mustard and dijon (could be yellow but pretty sure it's D) that does have a bit of honey in it but is not particularly sweet. I'll dig it out if you are interested. We usually serve it with fruit of some kind cause that is what recipe recommended.

No mustard in this one but it is a great marinade and basting sauce for grilled chicken.

[FONT=Verdana, serif]Cornell Chicken Barbecue Sauce/Finger Lakes Marinade Recipe[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]Developed by the late Robert C. Baker, Professor of Poultry Science and Food Science.

Recipe for Barbeque Sauce (enough for 10 halves):

1 cup cooking oil
1 pint cider vinegar
3 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 egg

Beat the egg, then add the oil and beat again. Add other ingredients and stir. The recipe can be varied to suit individual tastes.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, serif]
Dr. Robert C. Baker, creator of chicken nuggets and Cornell Chicken Barbecue Sauce, passed away at age 84 on March 13, 2006.
[/FONT]

There are a number of recipes at AllRecipes.com that use mustard and mayo together with chicken. Most are baked, but some would work grilled too. Do a recipe ingredient search including chicken, mustard, mayonnaise, and excluding honey if you want to avoid that.

There is a chicken sandwich that sounds good that calls for sautéed breasts that just as well be grilled.

Gourmet Chicken Sandwich

I make a mustard sauce for brandied rabbit for Easter. It's just 4 Tbs heavy cream and 1½ Tbs coarse mustard and the drippings from the brandied rabbit.

Here's the recipe, but you can substitute chicken for the rabbit, I guess.

Brandied Rabbit in Mustard Sauce
Ingredients:
• 1 medium rabbit, cut up
• 1 Tbs light tasting olive oil
• 1 Tbs butter
• 1 medium onion, quartered
• whole cloves
• salt and pepper to taste
• ½ cup brandy
• 4 tablespoons whipping cream
• 1½ Tbs coarse mustard
Instructions:
Dry the rabbit pieces with paper towels and trim off any fat. Heat the oil and butter in large skillet over medium heat until it shimmers, add the rabbit pieces and sauté until browned all over.
Press a generous amount of whole cloves into the onion quarters, add them to the skillet in between the rabbit pieces, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and slowly pour the brandy over the rabbit.
Cover and cook over medium low heat for about 30 minutes, or until the rabbit is cooked through. Remove the rabbit from the pan and tent it with foil to keep warm. Discard the onion chunks and increase the heat to medium high. Add the heavy cream and mustard and stir constantly until slightly thickened, scraping the fond from the bottom of the skillet. Return the rabbit to the pan and turn to coat the pieces with the sauce.

Hi Eric. Like you, I'm also burned out on red barbecue sauce for grilled chicken. My favorite way now is with a Mojo marinade with the addition of some Sriracha in the blend. Goya produces a great mojo marinade, but you could make it yourself if you wish. It doesn't have mustard in it but it's an excellent choice for grilled chicken.

https://www.google.com/express/prod...Arizona&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping

And here's a good recipe for making your own..

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/07/grilling-mojo-marinated-chicken-recipe.html

Last edited:
I know lots of people like it, but I'm not fond of the flavor.

I don't know what you have tried, but I've had many different varieties, and there is a lot of difference from one to another. Jerk chicken in Jamaica can burn the taste buds off your tongue, but the jerk wild boar that I had in the Bahamas was lightly seasoned and very good, more of a sauce than a paste or crust. What I do is different from either of them. I first had jerk 40 years ago in a restaurant in Denver that no longer exists, and that hooked me for life.

Sorry about the off topic promo...:rolleyes:

I don't know what you have tried, but I've had many different varieties, and there is a lot of difference from one to another. Jerk chicken in Jamaica can burn the taste buds off your tongue, but the jerk wild boar that I had in the Bahamas was lightly seasoned and very good, more of a sauce than a paste or crust. What I do is different from either of them. I first had jerk 40 years ago in a restaurant in Denver that no longer exists, and that hooked me for life.

It's been quite a while and my tastes have changed since then. I should give it another try.

Rick I enjoyed Jerk Chicken very much several times in Jamaica however I've never done it myself as Scotch Bonnet peppers scare me. :huh:

I for one would love to hear your way of doing it. Would you mind posting it for us?

Rick I enjoyed Jerk Chicken very much several times in Jamaica however I've never done it myself as Scotch Bonnet peppers scare me. :huh:

I for one would love to hear your way of doing it. Would you mind posting it for us?

First you don't need scotch bonnet peppers for jerk. Jerk is actually more about the spices than the heat. Here are the ingredients in my favorite jerk mix from Savory. This one has the scotch bonnet, but is still pretty mild. They also offer a hotter version, but I just add my own heat if I want more for specific recipe.

Toasted onion, salt, allspice, garlic, sugar, Mediterranean thyme, chives, black pepper, nutmeg, Saigon cinnamon, sage and scotch bonnet chiles.

I've also made mixes myself from various recipes. I've used habeñero peppers, but I've also used cayenne and red pepper flakes at different heat levels depending on who I'm cooking for. The real key to jerk is the mix of the allspice, cinnamon and other aromatic spices that give it that distinctive flavor.

I have mixed the dry herbs into a paste with olive oil to rub on the meat or fish for grilling, but I've also used it dry for baking my jerk wings or thighs in the oven (I usually toss in olive oil, then coat them well for a good crust). I also use it for a marinade with oil and vinegar, then grill or roast. I use jerk on chicken, pork, fish and shrimp. Some I use a heavy hand, and others, like shrimp, just to flavor without disguising the meat. For a pork tenderloin I'll coat it heavier because it's a thick cut.

WHOO HOOO GG...you're all set with that bay tree! He said you can order them on line for $9.00 lb.

I clicked that link... the price has gone up since that article was written - now $22.46 per pound, and allspice berries for 10.91 per pound. I am going to order some though. I have to try this and see if I can make it work on my gas grill.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom