"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs
Old 04-29-2007, 01:31 PM   #1
Senior Cook
My mushroom steak sauce is better than yours

ok, post what you have. here's mine and it goes GREAT with the big bone-in ribeye i just enjoyed:

Port Wine & Shiitake-Bella Mushroom Sauce

2 tablespoons garlic flavored EVOO
2 shallots, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups shiitake mushrooms
1 cup sliced portabella mushroom tops
2 cups port wine
3 cups beef or veal stock
salt & pepper
3 tablespoons butter

1. heat the evoo in a large saute pan and cook shallots & garlic til carmelized.
2. add shiitake and portabella shrooms and saute' until tender. add more evoo if necessary.
3. deglaze the saute pan with the 2 cups port wine and simmer until reduced by half.
4. add the beef or veal stock and reduce by half.
5. add salt & pepper and just a small dash of liquid smoke.
6. taste and adjust salt & pepper.
7. add-in butter and stir gently until incorporated.

throw this mixture on-top of a grilled or sear-roasted ribeye or t-bone... eat it, and come back here to thank me later.

black chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 01:41 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
You WIN!!!!!!!!! LOL

I was just watching a show where they were cooking a bone-in ribeye - boy oh boy - do I want one. Your recipe sounds deeeeeeeeelish!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:23 PM   #3
Executive Chef
I made this a couple of weeks ago at work. It's great! I think we are serving this with either a bone-in Ribeye, or a NY Strip.

Morel Mushroom Ragout

1 oz dried morels
1 c hot water
2 – 3 shallots, julienned
½ t thyme
1 T clarified butter
¼ c brandy, cognac, or bourbon
½ c beef demi-glace
2 – 3 T cream
Salt and pepper to taste

Rehydrate the morels in the hot water by bring it to a simmer and cooking for 5 minutes. Let the morels steep while you prep the other ingredients. Prep the mushrooms last. Squeeze them dry and slice into rings. Once you remove the mushrooms from their liquid, bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce until concentrated, ~ 4 T. Reserve for later.

Heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the butter, shallots, mushrooms, and thyme. Sauté for 3 – 4 minutes. Increase the heat to high, and carefully add the liquor and flambé. Once the flames die down, add the reserved mushroom liquid, demi-glace, cream, and bring to a boil. Simmer for a couple minutes, then season to taste with the salt and pepper.

Serve over grilled steak.
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:56 PM   #4
Master Chef
Mine doesn't have as fancy ingredients as yours, guys, but it's pretty darned good!
I sautee my sliced mushrooms in a little olive oil, a couple pats of butter, and salt & pepper until all the liquid is cooked up and the mushrooms are browned a little. I then add a pinch of thyme, a few splashes of Worchester Sauce and minced garlic and let cook a few minutes more.

Meantime, I caramelize thinly sliced sweet onions in a little olive oil and butter. I sprinkle them with a little sugar, salt and pepper, and let cook until soft and golden brown. Sometimes I add some sliced peppers about half way through.

Then I dump the two mixtures together.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:22 PM   #5
Head Chef
Wow, black chef and allen's sauces sound so good it's absurd..i forget how much you can learn here.
3..2..1.. HUSTLE! HUSTLE!
Mylegsbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:19 AM   #6
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Mine's similar to the ones above:

Glace de Veau
Shitaake Mushrooms
Shitaake Butter
A bit of garlic, if you like
Cognac if you like

Saute your mushrooms in olive oil, and your garic as well if you've added it. If you're using cognac, add that next, and flame it. Then, add your veal glace, and let it simmer for a couple of minutes and then mount with a healthy dose of shitaake butter (dried shitaake mushrooms go into a FP and get ground down until they are a fine powder. They are then whipped into some softened butter- absolutely delicious stuff that makes a great base for a creamy pasta sauce, as well as many other things).

Use pretty standard veal glace, with your standard mirepoix.
college_cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 05:56 AM   #7
Master Chef
Alright, it's 6am in the morning and my stomach wants steak thanks to this thread! All the sauces sound yummy!:)
The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:33 AM   #8
Executive Chef
Thanks for the compliments, folks.

Constance's recipes actually sounds really good. I've done similar things in the past.

This goes to show that high-dollar ingredients are not the end-all-be-all when it comes to cooking. Basic, everyday ingredients can be used to turn out a very tasty meal, as long as you know how to cook them.
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:41 AM   #9
Head Chef
They ALL look great. Now I wish we had the fixings for any one of these tonight!

Anyone got a good madeira and mushroom sauce for steak to share? My experiments so far have been really, really good.....but not tipped over to truely unforgetable yet, so would love o see some recipes using madeira.
In omnibus amor et iustum
lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:12 AM   #10
Executive Chef
I'll take that challenge....

2 packs of button or cremini mushrooms
3 Sliced Shallots
fresh thyme (substitute for rosemary, sage, oregano, etc.)
S & P
Cognac or Brandy
Beef Stock (or Chicken Stock)
1 T. Butter
Heavy Cream (you can leave this out and add juice from 1/2 lemon)

Tip: Make sure you really reduce the sauce so it becomes thick enough to coat to the mushrooms and not spread all over the plate.

You can make this as a side dish as well as change the stock for flavor.

Heat oil and sautee the mushrooms until golden, add the shallots and a good pour of liquor, flambe to remove the alcohol (and impress your guests), reduce. Add 3/4 to 1 cup stock, thyme, butter S & P and reduce to half. Finish with 1/3 cup cream and reduce to half again. Plate.

Measurements are approximate. I just add all the stuff to the pan and it turns out great. The substitutes make it very versitile.

Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote