"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs

Old 12-16-2005, 10:39 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Need help making gravy from scratch

ok, here a pretty basic question for yous all (y'all, youens, all of you). i know i should know this, but it's one i've never tackled before. i could read up on all of the posts here, but time is at a premium today, and thru the weekend to do the research. and i'm lazy.

my brother and sil are coming over on sunday for a pre-christmas dinner, and dw wants to make a pork loin roast.

i love her roasts; they are always juicy and tender, but she likes to make them very plain, just salt and pepper, so you experience the meat, not any added flavorings or marinades/rubs.
so, i was thinking that a notch kicker that wouldn't change her roast would be to make a gravy. i love gravy, and i would like to try to make one to go along with the roast. unfortunately, i will not have time to take the pan drippings and thicken/reduce them to make a gravy (the only way i've ever done it), so i was wondering if there was a good way, without using packaged gravy, which tastes like plastic to me, or bouillion cubes, which are way too salty, to make a good gravy to go with a pork loin roast.

tia for your help.

any ideas or suggestions, such as a sauce or other reduction that goes well with delicate white pork meat instead of a gravy would be appreciated as well.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 10:45 AM   #2
Master Chef

You can use canned beef or chicken broth. It actually makes it creamy.

Old 12-16-2005, 10:51 AM   #3
Master Chef

Box/can or not you still have to cook the darn thing. Gravy is my bigest fear. Though after the sugestions recieved here before the turkey day I was able to make pretty decent gravy from scratch. Look for my questions about it.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:56 AM   #4
Master Chef

IMO there is no way to make gravy without pan drippings. Or any kind of decent sauce.

But it really doesnt take that much time to do it. Do you have any time at all to use the pan ?
Old 12-16-2005, 11:01 AM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
IMO there is no way to make gravy without pan drippings. Or any kind of decent sauce.

But it really doesnt take that much time to do it. Do you have any time at all to use the pan ?
I agree. There's no better way than having the same flavoring as the dish it's going on.
and there really isn't a way to make it without cooking anyway. I didn't read that far into it, sorry
Old 12-16-2005, 11:18 AM   #6
Executive Chef

well for a pork roast which should sit a bit before carving, you can use pan drippings...

roast some whole garlic cloves with the meat and maybe some baby carrots (your choice)
degrease pan before as much as possible
use canned chix broth and some soy sauce to deglaze...yes soy goes real well with pork and adds great color. mash garlic into the gravy you are making
adjust with broth to proper taste
thicken with a corn starch or arrowroot slurry
about 1 tbspn starch to 2 of water mix well drizzle into pan while wisking
thickens before boiling. and I do mean drizzle in so you don't over thicken

should take about 5 min and tastes great.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:37 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

BT:

You can make a roux ahead of time. You can season and flavor it ahead of time. You can even add some chicken and/beef broth and cook it up ahead of time. But it won't taste great if you can't add the fond from the roasting pan.

If possible, while the roast is resting, drain off the fat and deglaze the roasting pan with some wine. Reduce the wine and add the pre-prepared gravy you made ahead of time and whisk it in. Adjust the flavoring and viola! You are done in minutes.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:42 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks everyone for your quick responses.

jenny, i probably will have to get someone to distract my wife so i can take the pan drippings (she will otherwise be defending the roast so i don't "do" anything to it that she doesn't want), but i will probably have only a few minutes to create the gravy.

i'm thinking of dropping in to the kitchen on a wire harness, like tom cruise in "mission impossible", and making the gravy while her back is turned.

anyway, robo, that's the idea of what i was looking for, thanks. i like the idea of garlic, carrots, broth and soy sauce. if i can't obtain much drippings before the alarms go off and the hounds are released, i think this would still work.

i wonder, if i can't get the drippings, could i make a pork stock before hand from pork rib and chop bones?

also, would adding a little fruit preserves instead of carrots work ok? i'm thinking like a raspberry/soy/garlic/broth sauce.

i realize that my mission, should i accept it, is to acquire the drippings with great prejudice.

edited to add: thanks andy m.. depending on timing and other events, i may go with the pre-made roux you suggest. the last several sauces/gravies that i have made with white wine have been a big hit with dw, i think to her surprise. with a little wheeling and dealing, i might get her to give me a few minutes when the roast is done.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 11:43 AM   #9
Everymom

OK buckytom, if you want fast this one is it. Take a jar with a tight lid, put in about 1/3 - 1/2 cup of flour, add some salt and then fill with water. Put the lid on and shake it over the sink until there are no lumps left. Pour this into the pan you had the roast in (thus incorporating all the drippings) and set that on the element. You will have yummy gravy in no time at all.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:50 AM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
OK buckytom, if you want fast this one is it. Take a jar with a tight lid, put in about 1/3 - 1/2 cup of flour, add some salt and then fill with water. Put the lid on and shake it over the sink until there are no lumps left. Pour this into the pan you had the roast in (thus incorporating all the drippings) and set that on the element. You will have yummy gravy in no time at all.

Yep. Tell the wife that you think Publisher's Clearinghouse is at the door and then whisk like crazy!

Tags
None