Oil and Vinegar: Which Sandwiches?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mylegsbig

Head Chef
I bought a really delicious looking oil and vinegar salad dressing.

What type of sandwiches does this go best on?

please list a few delicious examples.

Thanks.

I love it on cold cut sandwiches of all types (think Italian subs). I put it on turkey sandwiches. Really any kind of cold cuts that I eat.

See, i was thinking that it would be good on italian, but it wouldn't be so good on turkey. I guess i was wrong. I will be sure to try it out, as i love my home made club sandwich.

Normally on my club i put a caesar vinegarette(sic)

I put vinegar on every sandwich, instead of mayonaisse. A little vinegar on top of lettuce or tomato is always preferrable, IMO.

We use oil and vinegar on just about any sandwich that has a nice thick roll or thick cut artisan bread. Plain sammie bread gets to soggy, but it still tastes good. My kids love that french bread that has big pieces of roasted garlic, then salami,provolone ,mortadella, and a tomato,onion, lettuce salad dressed with balsamic and evoo, salt and pepper, slap it together and enjoy... Let your imagination be your guide:LOL:

kadesma

- my opinion: forget about store bought dressings entirely. all of the cheap ones and most of the rest use crappy (excuse the technical term) oil that is neither good for your family's health nor tasty. they rely on non-quality herbs and "seasonings" and artificial chemicals. the decent ones are exhorbitantly priced.
get 3 plastic squeeze bottles and use them for 1) virgin olive oil, 2) cider vinegar, and 3) balsamic vinegar.

as far as what oil & vinegar will go with: cooking is not about correctly reproducing what other people have made, but in knowing what you like and want, imagining how different flavors and textures will go together, and using your understanding of how ingredients and techniques work to achieve the results you want. trial and error are the best way to learn what works for you. if you think that oil & vinegar would taste good on turkey, you should just go ahead and give it a shot. in all likely hood, there's someone out there who's using oil & vinegar on their peanut butter & jelly sandwich made with sunbeam white bread ... and loving it!

I concur with putting it on most any sandwich incorporating Italian cold cuts. Granted the quality isn't the best, but oil & vinegar goes on most of my sandwiches from Subway.

On that note, what about a veggie sandwich? Lettuce, tomato, cukes, onion, pepper, carrot, baby spinach, and whatever else topped with salt, pepper, and oil and vinegar.

Bigdog,
a veggie sammie sounds great, wonder how O&V would be on grilled eggplant,peppers,onions etc on a great roll or lightly toasted artisan bread?

Food for thought:LOL:

kadesma

Try it with roasted veggies w/ warmed chevre on foccacia bread! Yummmm. I like a balsamic/olive oil combo for that one.

grumblebee said:
Try it with roasted veggies w/ warmed chevre on foccacia bread! Yummmm. I like a balsamic/olive oil combo for that one.

the sandwich suggestion sounds good, but better yet is your quote
icon12.gif

grumblebee said:
You're on grumblebee:LOL: next round of sammies I'll try your idea.

kadesma:)

I use oil and vinegar on every sandwhich, well with a few expeptions i guess, i don't think it would be very good on a hot sandwhich.

Ripliancum said:
I use oil and vinegar on every sandwhich, well with a few expeptions i guess, i don't think it would be very good on a hot sandwhich.
You should try it on a hot sandwich sometime. I get Italian subs toasted with oil and vinegar all the time. It is fantastic!

I'm with GB on this Rip, try a roast beef with arugala and oil and vinegar your fav cheese and then make a pannini out of it. It's yummy

kadesma:)

I love to make a herbed Foccia bread, and stuff it with roasted vegetables... or even grilled veggies, THEN Oil and Vinegar... that's good.
If you are a meat lover, inclide salami, or roast beef, ..you choose.

EDITED to be Foccia instead of Pita... pity, I had a brain fart.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom