Pizza Sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here we go again about oregano in spaghetti sauce. My own spaghetti sauce always includes dried oregano in it. If yours doesn't that's fine by me. ;)

I also use dried oregano in pasta sauce - nearly as much as I use of basil. In our house we tend to cook for our taste. :sly: That said, one time we were visiting family in PA and take-out pizza was ordered. Most members of the fam sprinkled extra oregano on each slice before eating. I'd never had it that way, so I tried it. Yum! IF you like oregano, that is.

Here we go again about oregano in spaghetti sauce. My own spaghetti sauce always includes dried oregano in it. If yours doesn't that's fine by me. ;)

I use oregano and/or other similar herbs like thyme, rosemary, marjoram - I like such flavors and see nothing wrong with upping the flavor profile of a simple red sauce. For pizza I will often add herbs to the crust too.

I also add all sorts of extra herbs to my pasta sauce, whether jarred or home-made. I especially love fresh ground fennel seed and oregano.

If you enjoy pizza sauce on spaghetti, go for it.

Which any real Italian will tell you is as it should be.

It's admirable you have firm convictions on what's right and what's not but you should consider there variations that are not wrong, just different. Tomato sauce with oregano is not automatically pizza sauce and nothing else. Lighten up.

To my lay opinion, pasta sauce, marinara sauce and pizza sauce are interchangeable. :) Don Pepino's is a good canned pizza sauce. Also, Gia Russa pizza sauce is pretty good.

I was in Safeway the other day and found a jar of Classico's Spicy Basil and Tomato pasta sauce. I used it on stuffed shells and it was pretty good. In fact, I think that will be my go to for pasta sauce now on.

I was in Safeway the other day and found a jar of Classico's Spicy Basil and Tomato pasta sauce. I used it on stuffed shells and it was pretty good. In fact, I think that will be my go to for pasta sauce now on.

Yeah, I think Classico may be the best of the inexpensive jarred sauces. It's my go to jarred sauce if I can't buy the locally made stuff or make my own.

I make it different. It takes a while, I have posted this but I guess I can do it again.

I start with dried rosemary and fennel seed in a bag made from a coffee filter. It boils until the water turns brown. In that time you cut up onion ad garlic, about a half each of big ones and then when the water is brown and doesn't have any particles in it you throw the onions and garlic in, along with a little olive oil and white wine. It all softens up in the water/oil/wine.

During this time you are putting together the spices,

1- Oregano
1- Basil
1- Thyme
1- Celery seed
½- Ceyenne ground

Throw in one eight ounce can of tomato sauce, (sugar free) and then the spice right on top.

Salt to taste AFTER it cooks for a hour.

Can cook more if desired. Actually you can taste the stuff during varying times and see how spices mature and meld.

T

My pizza sauce is a cooked pizza sauce (marinara) unlike most I hear and see about.
We have a great pizza place and they use a cooked sauce as well.
I did not realize until someone told me that that place pizza never gives him heartburn.
He said he gets heartburn everywhere else.
So I asked the pizza place and they did say it was cooked. A marinara.
I knew I was doing something right all along.

In marinara, and other tomato-based sauces, those that cause heartburn contain a significant amount of oregano. It is a member of the mint family. Mints have medicinal properties. Basil sooths the tummy, while origami is a muscle relaxer. It can cause the sphincter muscle at the top of the stomach to relax, causing acid reflux, i.e. heartburn. Surprisingly, peppers don't seem to have an adverse affect on the stomach, except to cause flatulency and bloating.
How vast the mint family is surprised me. Some common mints are spearmint, peppermint, oregano, basil, rosemary, thyme, catnip, marjoram, and so many others. So if you are prone to, or gave trouble with acid reflux, gp easy on the oregano.

Seeeeeyal; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom