"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs

Old 08-18-2006, 07:42 PM   #11
Head Chef

Okay, i made this sauce 2 nights ago.

It ABSOLUTELY BLEW ME AWAY. It was the sweetest, most delicious, fresh, vibrant sauce i've ever made in my LIFE.

I used 12 roma tomatoes cut in half then cut a piece off the bottom so they stood up.

I sprinkled them with salt, pepper, onion, dried basil, dried oregano, dried thyme.

i roasted a whole head of garlic.

i baked the tomatoes at 325 degrees for around 2 hours and 30 minutes. I then used a food mill to process it and added a half a cup of white wine. then i threw in all the roasted garlic cloves and dusted it with parmagiano reggiano and chopped fresh basil

There was no meat in it.

seriously this sauce was MINDBLOWING. I have never made a sauce this good using canned san marzanos.

The only thing is, 12 tomatoes gave very little sauce. I'm using 20 this time and making it again tonight.

This time i'm going to serve it with pecorino romano meatballs.

WOW!

Old 08-18-2006, 10:09 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

I have made these "sun dried tomatoes" this way for a long time and they are delicious. But made a Martha roasted tomato sauce yesterday that is OUTstanding. Will post. VERY rich. VERY easy.

Well, anyway, can't pull it up. Slice one large onion and spread on a baking sheet. Add 7 cloves garlic, crushed under a knife blade, 8 oz. sliced mushrooms and 3 1/2# tomatoes, thickly sliced. Spinkle with basil and a liberal drizzle of olive oil. Roast at 425* for one hour. Process in a food processor to a sauce. It is VERY hearty and thick. Delicious as a pizza topping or pasta. Would make a killer meat sauce.

Old 08-18-2006, 10:17 PM   #13
Head Chef

Gretchen, that sounds really cool! How about roasting it for 2 hours at 300?

Do you think that could be better?
Old 08-18-2006, 10:20 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylegsbig
Gretchen, that sounds really cool! How about roasting it for 2 hours at 300?

Do you think that could be better?
No, it would not be as good, in my oopinion. I have made roasted tomatoes at all different temps. These got a nice char that enhanced the flavor and the onions were melting. But you can do what you want.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:32 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
No, it would not be as good, in my oopinion. I have made roasted tomatoes at all different temps. These got a nice char that enhanced the flavor and the onions were melting. But you can do what you want.
I'm going to do my next tomato roast at a high temperature then. Hope it turns out well.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:38 AM   #16
Senior Cook

This sounds wonderful. My tomatoes are turning now so this will be the first recipe I try with this years yield!
Old 08-19-2006, 08:01 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylegsbig
I'm going to do my next tomato roast at a high temperature then. Hope it turns out well.
I need to point out possibly a difference in these recipes. When I make "sun dried tomatoes" I use Romas split lengthwise, dipped cut side in oil and roasted at various temps from low to medium and they are like "sun dried tomatoes".
The recipe I posted I used regular, albeit very nice summer, tomatoes. And there are other things in it--the onions, garlic and mushrooms. To me, this makes a lovely rich sauce but I think it is different from the "plainer" roasted tomatoes. And I think using whole tomatoes rather than Romas makes a richer tasting sauce unless you have Romas that have flavor.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:57 AM   #18
Master Chef

I'm glad you liked the sauce, Myleg. I get mine in to roast in the morning, and put them in at an even lower temp...about 250. By the time I have lunch and my nap, the whole house is filled with the most wonderful aroma!
Old 08-19-2006, 12:07 PM   #19
Head Chef

sounds awesome constance i liked the slow cooked stuff myself
Old 08-20-2006, 06:27 AM   #20
Head Chef

Here's a recipe for an oven-baked risotto that uses roasted tomatoes. Delia Smith is one of those TV cooks who's determined to 'educate' the British public on precisely what they should be eating and on precisely how they ought to be cooking. So her writing's a bit prim and prissy on occasions. Even so, this tastes delicious:

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/r...o,1266,RC.html

I cheat: I don't peel the tomatoes first but squeeze out the flesh by hand after they've been roasted. It's quicker but definitely messier. I also seem to get more juice out of them that way as well.

Tags
None