Sauteeing vs. stewing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was just sharing some insight on how a lot of traditional Italian cooking evolved into Italian-American cooking. Many of the changes came from early Italian immigrants who found themselves in a country where they found it necessary to adapt their cooking to what was available (and cheap) here.
I recently picked up "Tasting Italy", the new book from National Geographic and America's Test Kitchen. Haven't read it yet, but thumbed through it. They point out that southern Italy has always been the poorest part of Italy, leading to more emigration than the north, so most Americans think of southern recipes when they think of Italian food.

If you are interested in reading about how Americans have modified some other countries cuisines, I would suggest reading "Ten Restaurants That Changed America" by Paul Freedman. It's an entertaining read, and will give you some insight into food history in the US. I'm pretty sure that's where I read where Texans turned wienerschnitzel into chicken fried steak! :chef:

I recently picked up "Tasting Italy", the new book from National Geographic and America's Test Kitchen. Haven't read it yet, but thumbed through it. They point out that southern Italy has always been the poorest part of Italy, leading to more emigration than the north, so most Americans think of southern recipes when they think of Italian food.

If you are interested in reading about how Americans have modified some other countries cuisines, I would suggest reading "Ten Restaurants That Changed America" by Paul Freedman. It's an entertaining read, and will give you some insight into food history in the US. I'm pretty sure that's where I read where Texans turned wienerschnitzel into chicken fried steak! :chef:
Yes, and interestingly, most German immigrants came from southern Germany - Bavaria. We've hosted three German exchange students - one from Berlin, one from Hamburg in the north and one from a city in the former East Germany. None of them had ever had German potato salad as we know it - because it was a Bavarian dish.

When I visited Austin, Texas, I learned that in the 1830s, a particular German acquired a large land grant and wrote to Germans back home telling them about the land available to purchase with low taxes. Of course, this appealed to people who at the time were mostly peasants working for the nobility. Later, some German nobles tried to establish a sort of mini-colony in the Texas colony and brought over thousands more peasants. That didn't last long, though.

I love food history. I'll look for that book - thanks for the recommendation.

Yes, and interestingly, most German immigrants came from southern Germany - Bavaria. We've hosted three German exchange students - one from Berlin, one from Hamburg in the north and one from a city in the former East Germany. None of them had ever had German potato salad as we know it - because it was a Bavarian dish.

When I visited Austin, Texas, I learned that in the 1830s, a particular German acquired a large land grant and wrote to Germans back home telling them about the land available to purchase with low taxes. Of course, this appealed to people who at the time were mostly peasants working for the nobility. Later, some German nobles tried to establish a sort of mini-colony in the Texas colony and brought over thousands more peasants. That didn't last long, though.

I love food history. I'll look for that book - thanks for the recommendation.

Yes, Central Texas/Hill Country is VERY German. It was German Immigrants who also created Texas BBQ -- which is beef centric, because that was the most available meat.

As for Italian immigrants, my family came from the industrial North, near Torino.

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom