Simply Heinz Ketchup - Have you tried it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnnieDrews

Senior Cook
I didn't realize I had bought this when picking up ketchup at the store last time. I had some fries today from McDonald's and got the ketchup out. It tastes terrible! It is so sweet it is almost inedible to me.

From what I understand, this is Heinz's attempt to make nice with all of the high fructose corn syrup haters out there. I don't have a problem with HFCS myself. But their formula is way off....I hope I can find the regular Heinz next time I go to the store.

Have you tried it??

Heinz 57 is really tough to beat. It's one of my favorite condiments - to the point that people give it to me for birthday/holiday gifts as a joke.

I've only had one homemade ketchup that I prefer, and it was amazing. It was from a food stand at a festival, and I had the item I ordered to go - and never got the chance to ask the owner about it (not that they would have coughed up the secret).

A homemade version that rivals (or beats) H57 while staying natural is one of my lifetime kitchen goals...:LOL:

I haven't heard of it, let alone tried any yet. Thanks for the heads up, Annie. I wouldn't want to buy any by mistake like I did some L&P super thick worcestershire sauce once. The darn stuff was packaged like the regular sauce.

You're addicted to the sugar/corn syrup in the "regular."

And they're counting on that.

Americans have such a collective sweet tooth they prefer everything sweeter than the rest of the world.

Did you know that in Europe candy companies make a separate, sweeter line they export to the USA?

You're addicted to the sugar/corn syrup in the "regular."

And they're counting on that.

Americans have such a collective sweet tooth they prefer everything sweeter than the rest of the world.

Did you know that in Europe candy companies make a separate, sweeter line they export to the USA?

Actually, the Simply Heinz has sugar in it, but just tastes sickeningly sweet. I just don't like the recipe as much as the regular brand. Not particularly "addicted" to it, just prefer the taste of the old formula.

I was curious/doubtful about that claim regarding US consumption of sugar and did a quick search (had to sort through to some reliable sources such as WHO).

Actually the US isn't even in the same ballpark as some countries when it comes to Per Capita consumption of sugar... we're way behind the top rock gobblers!

Global Oral Health - CAPP

US citizens average about 32Kg per person per year. Many countries are in the 40's, 50's, 60's, even 100+!

-----

The same can be said about our consumption of salt. I believe Eastern Asia dominates this category.

I do believe we're near the top when it comes to overall calorie consumption however. Might need to research that claim...

I was curious/doubtful about that claim regarding US consumption of sugar and did a quick search (had to sort through to some reliable sources such as WHO).

Actually the US isn't even in the same ballpark as some countries when it comes to Per Capita consumption of sugar... we're way behind the top rock gobblers!

Global Oral Health - CAPP

US citizens average about 32Kg per person per year. Many countries are in the 40's, 50's, 60's, even 100+!

-----

The same can be said about our consumption of salt. I believe Eastern Asia dominates this category.

I do believe we're near the top when it comes to overall calorie consumption however. Might need to research that claim...

From that site, "* Figures above are for centrifugal sugars (cane and beet sugars) only."

They aren't including the danged corn syrup.

Here in Quebec, people have a big sweet tooth too. We get all the extra sweet stuff. :yuk:

I should also add that when you include all forms of sweeteners (such as HFCS, Saccharin, etc) we are near/at the top.

If they are just measuring sugar than we wouldn't be near the top, since for many years HFCS has been the primary sweetener in most processed foods. When you add in the HFCS, I would have no doubt that we would be at the top.

Let's see about getting this back on topic about Simply Heinz Ketchup.

Has anyone else had a chance to try it or have a favorite Ketchup/Catsup they would like to recommend?

img_984320_0_0b5547618af53c7b0e610d0d2e076bfb.gif

If I bought a big bottle of ketchup I didn't like I would use it to make BBQ sauce. Matter of fact I don't really like any ketchup, so that's what I do with it!:mrgreen:

BetterThanABox-I'd be interested to see if you like it or not when you try it.

VaGriller-That is a great idea!!

I guess it's untrue to say I never use ketchup. I do use it on burgers, hotdogs, and corndogs. The rest of my family consumes it on most anything!

Back
Top Bottom