"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs
Old 11-27-2005, 02:46 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
Steph and I Broke the Gravy Rules

My kid sis and I were in charge of making gravy for Thanksgving. It rocked, and we made about 6 cups.

We used ALL of the drippings from the roasting pan. Didn't even bother to dump any out, just started shaking flour over it. Maybe half a cup of flour in all. We kinda made a roux first, but kept whisking and adding what looked right at the moment (flour, butter, or liquid). Lotta butter -probably half a stick when it was all said and done.

For liquid, we used a carton of Kitchen Basics chicken stock, plus the cooking water (2 cups?) from the turkey neckbone, which I had boiled up with a couple hunks of celery, a few baby carrots, about a quarter of on onion, some peppercorns, and salt. I shredded out the meat and added it at the last minute.

Oh, and we did it all in the turkey roasting pan over two burners.

For somebody who could not make decent gravy until the last year or so, I have to preen a little and say "YEAH! 'At's what I'm talkin' about!"

Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 02:56 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Way to go Mudbug I did pretty much the same thing for the first time in ages. It turned out so good for a change...Here's a pat on the back girl (pat,pat,pat)...

HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 04:33 PM   #3
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Broke what gravy rules? That's how my grandpa has been making it for years! 1 tbsp butter for every tbsp of flour. All of the drippings, and chicken stock/broth to increase quantity, cooked over 2 burners in the roasting pan. I modified into a regular pot after deglazing the roasting pan to get those good yum yums because my disposable roaster was retarded.
Integrity & Honesty
have been sacrificed on the combined altars of Control, Political Correctness, and Convenience
BigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 05:04 PM   #4
Master Chef
I tried something this year that I'd never done before. I kneaded the flour into the butter, then added it a little a time to my simmering juices. Then I stirred in a little sour cream just before I served it. Yummeee!
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 05:59 PM   #5
Assistant Cook
Red face

Was organized this year and made the gravy a month ago - bought some turkey legs roasted them with some vegies and then made a broth - used butter for the fat added flour and then the turkey broth had to darken it a bit with some burnt sugar and put about 2 quarts of gravy in the freezer - sure made it easier on t-day
JoyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 07:32 AM   #6
Executive Chef
Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
That's pretty much how I make gravy from a big turkey or other piece of meat too (lol, so I'm not alone on using the roasting pan on the stove top ). I've found it seems to yield more total gravy than doing it other ways. I also like using cornstarch or arrowroot instead of wheat based flours, as it often results in less lumps in the finished product (mind you, you need to mix the cornstarch with a little cold water first and once it's disolved in the cold water add the mix, slowly, to your pan of drippings and stock.) Making up some chicken stock ahead of time and having it in the freezer is really handy too.

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:08 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Constance
I kneaded the flour into the butter, then added it a little a time to my simmering juices.
We decided to do this too, Connie, late in the gravy game. Called a beurre manie, if I have my French correctly.
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 07:28 PM   #8
Executive Chef
Way to go, Mudbug - and now you can take your newfound skill and use it for any kind of roast you make!

Sometimes I add a little splash of white wine to the mix, just for a little brightness.

I've also started making my gravies with cornstarch instead of flour; I think it makes a little lighter gravy.
marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 11:42 AM   #9
Assistant Cook
I do the roasting pan on 2 burners, too!

This year we used a dark Calphalon nonstick pan, and the drippings were more flavorful than EVER before. It was a lovely plus. No need to add any fat, just dumped in some organic chicken stock and a flour/water slurry, a bit at a time until the flour was cooked through. Everyone commented on what a STRONG turkey flavor - it really turned out perfect. I followed a tip from Alton Brown and added a little extra stock at the end, to make it slightly runnier than I like before serving. By the time people got to it, it had thickened up and was still pourable.
Schadenfreude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 01:01 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
that sounds so good 'bug.
that's the way my mom has made gravy as far back as i can remember. unfortunately, i am not allowed to make "full fat" gravy. i have to remove the drippings, put them into one of those measuring cups with the spout attached towards the bottom, a put it into the fridge to let the fat rise to the top. then i can use it to make gravy.
the down side is that it's not de-fatted enough when the bird is ready to eat, so i have to use turkey stock from a previous turkey.
and i agree with marm about using cornstarch. i have recently started using it to make pan gravies, and it does make buttered gravies a little lighter.

here's a bit about thickeners: http://www.foodsubs.com/ThickenStarch.html

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote