"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs
Old 12-30-2004, 10:37 PM   #21
Bucky, the "loss" here was that I no longer get that garlic infused EVOO so easily and cheaply...of course 9 times out of 10, garlic being soaked in EVOO did "no damage" to a recipe either...

But it "creeps me out" how close to the "flames" I have "danced", in my happy ignorance...those "eaters" were all "friends" and "family"...nothing exists of higher value...

Lifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 07:30 PM   #22
Assistant Cook
Thank you all SO MUCH for all this info. I had no idea this would spark such a thread!

Thanks again for all your help!

jamesg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 06:33 AM   #23
Executive Chef
You're most welcome, James! So - tell us what your conclusions are!
marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 08:25 AM   #24
Head Chef
My personal conclusion on this thread is that there are many highly knowledgeable and helpful folks around here!

Thanks to all of you for factual and well-supplied information! Botulism does, indeed, happen. And I can point to two individuals who developed it in the last two weeks...both from homemade infused oils innocently given as gifts.
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is Optional.
Audeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 03:20 AM   #25
Sous Chef
Now that ya'all have me completely freaked out about this here are some more related questions:

What about herbs stored in vinegar, I have some tarragon thats been sitting in the fridge w/ vinegar for a year or so. Should I toss this?

WHat about these nice, preservered lemons I'm storing? They have been boiled in water and have a layer of oil on top...
jpinmaryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 01:47 PM   #26
Master Chef
Generally storing herbs in vinegar is considered safe, as the acid prevents bacteria growth. http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09340.html

I would guess that the acid in the lemons would do the same, but the acid level may have been diluted by the salt or other preserving mechanism. Since it's a common way to preserve lemons, I would guess that it is ok. But it's certainly worth some research.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:00 AM   #27
Assistant Cook
What type of vinegar?

I would like to revive this thread for just a minute. I was gonna mince some garlic and store in oil but didn't know how to go about doing this properly so I, of course, Googled. This thread was like second in the search results. I really learned a lot here. Don't think I'll be storing in olive oil after all. One glimmer of hope that I could still store garlic ahead is that I can store the garlic in vinegar. What kind of vinegar? Balsamic vinegar? Apple cider vinegar? White vinegar? Does the garlic take on any of the taste of the vinegar?
jdreamer63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:50 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire
Freshly minced garlic will give you the best flavor; I have a mini food chopper similar to this, for mincing large quantities: Elite Cuisine Mini Food Chopper : Target

If you really want to store it, I would suggest using white vinegar; the garlic will flavor the vinegar, rather than the other way around.
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:07 AM   #29
Assistant Cook
Hey thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, I know fresh is better. That's definitely what I prefer but my friend's uncle bought a huge amount from a local farmer. He bought so much my friend gave me part of it. I have 5 bulbs which is like 50 cloves, right? I'm pretty much by myself these days. I'm single, my one child is now grown and not around much so I won't use all this garlic before it goes bad unless I preserve it somehow. Thanks again for the white vinegar suggestion. I'm assuming in a glass jar with enough vinegar to cover the minced garlic?
jdreamer63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:06 PM   #30
Head Chef
Your garlic will keep for a couple weeks in a cool, dry, dark place.

Another way to keep it is to roast the whole head, squeeze the pulp out and freeze it in a small container. (Or bake a loaf of bread while you are baking the garlic, and eat the whole loaf smeared with it. Don't do this if you are on a diet.)

I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote