Storing minced garlic/ginger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Minced garlic (Turned Green)

I am 66 years old and have minced a lot of garlic. I usally buy it in the big jars and keep it in the fridge. I went and bought 6 tubes of garlic and minced it and was going to bring it to a boil to kill any bacteria that was in it. Well, I added water to the minced garlic so I could boil it and when it started to cook it all turned a nasty green. Can anyone tell me what happened ? I have never seen this happen in my life. I am going to throw it all away and stick to buying the minced garlic in the jars like I have been.:ermm:
Steve

Hi, Steve. Welcome to DC.

There is a chemical reaction that occurs at times that will turn garlic green or blue. The color is harmless.

More importantly, boiling garlic will not make it safe for long term storage. Storing it in oil will not make it safe for long term storage.

Either buy minced garlic in a jar, mince as needed it or buy an good garlic press and press as needed.

Thank you for your advice: Just the idea of it turning green does not look appealing. I will stick to the store bought jars. Thank you for your time.
Steve

Back
Top Bottom