"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs
Old 06-27-2009, 03:27 PM   #41
Assistant Cook
Minced garlic (Turned Green)

I am 66 years old and have minced a lot of garlic. I usally buy it in the big jars and keep it in the fridge. I went and bought 6 tubes of garlic and minced it and was going to bring it to a boil to kill any bacteria that was in it. Well, I added water to the minced garlic so I could boil it and when it started to cook it all turned a nasty green. Can anyone tell me what happened ? I have never seen this happen in my life. I am going to throw it all away and stick to buying the minced garlic in the jars like I have been.

wnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 03:36 PM   #42
Certified Pretend Chef
Hi, Steve. Welcome to DC.

There is a chemical reaction that occurs at times that will turn garlic green or blue. The color is harmless.

More importantly, boiling garlic will not make it safe for long term storage. Storing it in oil will not make it safe for long term storage.

Either buy minced garlic in a jar, mince as needed it or buy an good garlic press and press as needed.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 03:43 PM   #43
Assistant Cook
Thank you for your advice: Just the idea of it turning green does not look appealing. I will stick to the store bought jars. Thank you for your time.

wnight is offline   Reply With Quote