Substitute for "Kitchen Bouquet" brown sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cmcgrath

Assistant Cook
I'm trying a new recipe for baking a corned beef which calls for Brown Sauce, is there any way to make a homemade version of this??

Welcome to DC !!

A quick search on the net provided this:

Browning Sauce (Substitute for Kitchen Bouquet or Gravy Master)
Makes 1 cup

1/2 cup sugar
1 cup hot water
beef base to taste

Add the sugar to a saucepan and heat on a low or medium-low heat until browned, about 5-10 minutes. When the mixture starts to get dark, take it off the heat and carefully add the water (this may splatter).

Add the beef soup base and put back on a low heat, stirring until the water is integrated.

Cool and store in a disposable container.

Use a spoonful or two when making gravies, stews, sauces, meatloaf, meatballs, etc.

Welcome to DC !!

Makes 1 cup

1/2 cup sugar
1 cup hot water
beef base to taste

Add the sugar to a saucepan and heat on a low or medium-low heat until browned, about 5-10 minutes. When the mixture starts to get dark, take it off the heat and carefully add the water (this may splatter).

Add the beef soup base and put back on a low heat, stirring until the water is integrated.

Use a spoonful or two when making gravies, stews, sauces, meatloaf, meatballs, etc.
Copied and pasted, thanks!

Thank you MrsLMB. I have copied and pasted this recipe.

A lot of my Danish recipes call for a browning agent called "Kulør". This has the advantage of not really adding flavour. It's made of sugar caramelized with ammonia and some water. I was thinking of trying to make it and using some baker's ammonia. My sister, who is a chemical engineer, said that should work. Now I'm wondering if I even need the ammonia.

That's a pretty simply recipe for sure. I didn't realize those had so much sugar in them, but I never have a recipe that calls for KB or GM.

Good to know all these tips - I've never used any browning/seasoning sauce before either...

I used to keep a bottle on hand because mom did. It might still be in the cupboard somewhere. My mother would use it with vegetable/potato water to make her gravies, which were always awesome, but I find it easier to use broth when I make gravy. I could never get the hang of KB.

I used to keep a bottle on hand because mom did. It might still be in the cupboard somewhere. My mother would use it with vegetable/potato water to make her gravies, which were always awesome, but I find it easier to use broth when I make gravy. I could never get the hang of KB.

Gravy is easy to make with KB or GM. Make a slurry with flour and water. Mix well. Add about one tsp. of KB or GM to the slurry, mix well and slowly add to broth to thicken. :angel:

My Mom always had a bottle on hand .. and so I also did for many years. I would use it for gravies and add it to soups and stews.

This thread got me to thinking about the last time I used some .. and I can't even remember LOL

So I went looking and sure enough .. I still have some in the little brown plastic bottle !

Opened that bottle and nothing came out .. so in the trash it went.

Apparently I don't need it since I can't remember the last time I used some !

Now watch .. sometime next week I will be wanting some again LOL

Welcome to DC !!

Makes 1 cup

1/2 cup sugar
1 cup hot water
beef base to taste

What is beef base? Is it like stock?

Back
Top Bottom