"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs
Old 05-10-2005, 06:23 PM   #11
Head Chef
Just to be clear. If I were to make Tahini (the end product dressing), what would I do?? Would I use the initial recipe from above (which I believe to be the paste that is used as a base), then from that added required amounts of lemon, garlic, etc.... to make the "dressing" that I would serve with food or on top of food?

Go Sooners
abjcooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 07:27 AM   #12
Senior Cook
Abjcooking, seeds take up twice the volume as paste, so if you have a tahini dressing recipe that includes tahini paste and you want to sub seeds, use twice the amount and toss the whole thing (seeds, lemon juice, garlic, water) in the blender.

The recipe at the beginning of the forum, as I said before, is pretty much useless due to the water content. I still contend that it's the result of someone going to a restaurant, seeing the dressing and assuming that it was just watered down, blended paste. It isn't.

scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 08:52 PM   #13
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to bluespanishsky
Originally Posted by scott123
Tahini (the paste) should last for months. We're talking desert food here. If you're finding that the tahini you buy is going rancid quickly, there's only one answer - it wasn't all that fresh to begin with. I won't buy supermarket tahini for that very reason. There's usually not enough turnover to maintain a fresh supply of the product. I'm fortunate enough to have a Syrian community about 30 minutes away. That's where I get my tahini. If you don't live near any middle eastern supermarkets... well... my best advice would be to look for the cans with the least amount of dust on them. Seriously.

I think you are right on the freshness. My mom brings back tahini from the middle east every year, and I keep it in my cupboard for months. If I'm out I'll end up buying some in a jar from the middle eastern supermarket, and it also seems to keep well in the cupboard.
bluespanishsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 09:31 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef
Tahini = ground sesame seeds = sesame 'butter'.

You could also buy sesame paste in any Asian market. It's the same thing.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote