Thickeners...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Otter

Sous Chef
There are lots of thickeners out there - flour, cornstarch, arrowroot, etc. Do you use just one, or specific ones for different recipes?

i think cornstarch is used as a thickener when you want a glossy shine to your sauce. flour makes a more matte sauce.

Buckytom hit the nail on the head. In addition to that I think cornstarch will thicken to its fullest extent before it comes to a boil, but flour needs to come to a boil before it maxes out on its thickening.

What Buckytom and GB said.

Arrowroot and cornstarch make for a shiney sauce. Flour makes for a more opaque and creamy texture.

So it depends on the type of sauce you are making.

Never tried arrowroot, but completely agree with all stated opinions. What is arrowroot like?

Arrowroot is clearer than the others and is typically used when you want a more transparent sauce. I use it mainly in stir-fry.

Ground nuts make a great thickner and so does yogurt, sour cream mixed with some caramalized onions.

They are not for all recipes but do add a lot of richness to stews and gravies.

Yakuta, I always learn so much from your posts. Ground nuts, I never would have thought of that. What a great idea :)

GB said:
Yakuta, I always learn so much from your posts. Ground nuts, I never would have thought of that. What a great idea :)

Restaurants used to do that until the allergy problems became so prevalent. IMO nuts often give a great flavor, too.

On occaision, I'll use a retail product called "Veloutine", which turns out pretty good, but "darkens" your gravy...

Its especially good if your drippings appear "burnt" and things seem unrecoverable, this will usually come through and save your day...

Lifter

I think that the use of things such as cornstarch should be avoided if at all possible :) Things such as soups and most sauses can be thickend in other ways

Sauce and gravey can be thicked with Reduction using heat.
Stew, soup, and so on with natral thickeners such as onions and potato :)

Back
Top Bottom