What would you do with this sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gayle

Assistant Cook
I make a very simple anise-flavored syrup (2 c. sugar, 1 c. water, 1 t. anise flavoring. Bring to a boil and simmer 5 to 10 minutes, or until slightly thickened). I love it on vanilla ice cream, but can't think of what else it would be good on. What else could I do with it?

Gayle,
how about some sliced pound cake surrounded by fresh sliced peaches and then spoon some of the syrup over the cake and peaches and top with whipped cream or even just plain.

kadesma:)

sounds like it might go well on grilled pork, veal, or even lamb chops.

or mix it with apple cider or red wine vinegar, evoo, add some mashed garlic, and use it as a dressing over a salad of arrugula, endive, and radicchio, maybe with some goat cheese.

buckytom said:
sounds like it might go well on grilled pork, veal, or even lamb chops.

or mix it with apple cider or red wine vinegar, evoo, add some mashed garlic, and use it as a dressing over a salad of arrugula, endive, and radicchio, maybe with some goat cheese.

YES! You've mentioned some of the more bitter greens/salad and that sounds wonderful!!! I love this idea!

Gayle said:
I make a very simple anise-flavored syrup (2 c. sugar, 1 c. water, 1 t. anise flavoring. Bring to a boil and simmer 5 to 10 minutes, or until slightly thickened). I love it on vanilla ice cream, but can't think of what else it would be good on. What else could I do with it?

Add some fresh, slightly underripe pineapple and a little hot pepper and serve it over grilled fish or shrimps!

Wow, thanks for all the ideas everyone! I think I'm going to have to make another batch of syrup and try these out. It never occurred to me to use it in a main dish or salad.

Take 1/2 of your syrup and combine with 1 cup oil and 1/2 cup vinegar. Toss in some basil while you're at it.
Marinate and then grill chicken breasts. Don't forget the wood chips.
Use the leftover marinade to make a white sauce based condiment.
Serve with angel hair pasta and asiago.

Back
Top Bottom