"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs

Old 05-29-2012, 12:38 AM   #1
Half Baked

Which premade salsas do you like and why?

I make my own which is a Pico De Gallo style that is chunky, sweet and hot and I add corn in it. (that can be another thread sometime)

There are also plenty of times when the ingredients aren't good enough, they are too expensive, I just have the time or don't want that one.

I have eaten so much "Pace picante medium salsa" that I am kind of bored with it now. It is good but I am just "OUTPACED". (Pun intended)
I find it has a big tomato and onion flavor and a little sweet. It benifits with the addition of cilantro.

Kirkland brand jarred salsa (Costco) has become our new "Pace" I find it has a fresher taste that is not as muted and it is big on Cumin and tomato flavor.It may be a little sweeter than pace and just as mild so my kids will eat it.

I also like a cheap canned brand (.50c a can) called "El Pato-Salsa De Jalapeno" . The flavor is little smokey and quite a bit hotter than the others. It is thin like a blended salsa and has lots of seeds. The canned flavor is not overpowering at all and I love to add chopped cilantro to this one too.

And just for the record I like either homade chips or "Santitas-White corn" in a pinch.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:54 AM   #2
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Herdez Salsa Casera. It is the closest to homemade I have found in a jar.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:50 AM   #3
Master Chef

herdez it is for me too.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:40 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Buongiorno,

I use very few pre-made sauces or salsas of any kind. However, instead of using Glass Jar Tomato Paste ( I do not eat anything from a Can or Tin ), on a rare occasion, I employ Barilla Brand Basil Tomato Sauce . It is quite decent as a Sub.

Items which are made with any form of Soy or Soy Bi-Products, Soy Beans etcetra; Sunflower Oil or sugar, I avoid like the plague.

I am highly allergic to Soy and its derivatives. I only buy home baked breads for this reason. Many packaged breads have soy flour. Cannot.

I also do not like sugar added to foods, and thus, jar brands, have large quantities of unwanted sugar and sodium.

I prefer natural foods even if they are less convenient.

Interesting Post.

Kind regards.
Margi. Ciao.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:39 AM   #5
Master Chef

Mrs. Renfrew's -- I like most of that brand I've tried, especially the green. Very hot. I like them because they're not sweet. I make my own pico de gallo type as well, especially when my tomatoes come in (cannot wait!!! it'll be at least two months!). I don't put sugar in any tomato-based sauce/salsa, so when I buy jars of either I find them too sweet usually.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:02 AM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Herdez & La Costena brand salsas. They taste fresh, nice heat and come in small cans so it;s easier for us to use them quickly.

PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I like Tostitos brand salsa. It only contains food, citric acid, and calcium chloride. I like the taste. I don't use it often because it contains a lot of sodium.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I use Walmart's Great Value chunky salsa. Nice and chunky with crisp veggies, cheap too.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:17 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Pace Picante sauce because it's made in San Antonio by people who know what picante sauce is supposed to taste like, not in New York City. I also like La Victoria, which is made in California.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #10
Wine Guy

For the most part, I find it's very easy just to make homemade salsa or pico de gallo. But last year for our kid's grad party, we ended up using jarred salsa, simply because it was far more convenient and likely what her friends would be most used to eating. We tried a few and found one in the refrigerator section called "Salsa Lisa" that we all liked. The Chipotle flavor was my personal favorite. My wife and daughter liked the regular medium salsa. Both tasted relatively fresh.

The problem I have with most jarred salsas is they tend to have a "cooked" flavor that I don't care for. One thing I found that helps with that is to squeeze a little fresh lime juice into it. That really seems to brighten it up.

Tags
None