Will You join us in a Swap?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deelady

Executive Chef
I was chatting with Lefselover about spice blends and I thought of an idea that I am very excited about and hope you will like it as well!

I thought it would be fun to have a spice blend, marinade, or rub swap. Just like having a cookie swap party but with homemade spice mixtures and of course via mail!

Those interested could swap addresses via PM or you could all PM me your addresses and I could make a mailing list to PM to those interested in participating.

Not for people who just want to receive FREE spices!!! But who actually will participate and send out their own as well!

Lefselover thought she would want to send out an Hebs de Provance and I was thinking of doing a Rosemary salt..... you can make as many different kinds as you want and switch it up whenever!

So will you join us??:mrgreen: Bucky I heard you have a killer blend.....KE??How about you?:cool::cool: Come one, come all!

I thought it was that other kidna swap..... ohh well thanks for getting my hopes up.

I kidna just wing everything and dont have a set blend or rub. I really should though.

I really wish that I could. I have not learned enough to have any real swapable marinades. As far as rubs, I am in ther really early learning stage.

I do think it is a great idea.
AC

Sounds like fun :) A question: Would it be safe to mail a marinade? Just wondering, I really don't know. Seems like it should be fine. What do the rest of you think?

i've a pretty tasty spice blend. i'm fer swapping- i swapped an item with discusscookers before & went very well.

Sounds like fun :) A question: Would it be safe to mail a marinade? Just wondering, I really don't know. Seems like it should be fine. What do the rest of you think?

I think it's a great idea and I'm in. I think that dry spices would ship well. I'd love to share some Mexican spice blends that I use regularly in my dishes. The marinades would have to be sent via Express as it's perishable. Unless someone else has other suggestions.

I used to participate in card swaps like this, they are really fun. If you need help coordinating, I could lend it. It's generally easiest to pick one person to send the spices to and have her/him coordinate sending samples to everyone.

Well I am so glad you guys seem to like the idea...I was worried it would flop!

Although the idea of one person shipping it out to people sounds organized and that way it would be fair, no one would get jipt (sp?) but what about that person having to pay for all the shipping?? That could get expensive for one person ...unless when you ship in your spice blend you also include a couple bucks for shipping for your package to come to you in return??
I don't mind doing the work since I just gave in my 2 wks notice...I'll have plenty of time on my hands! :ROFLMAO:
But depending on how many partcipants we get....hint hint!.....I would love the help if it gets very busy! Thank you:cool:

I believe as far the marinades go it would all depend on what goes in it....you can always mix togther the non perishables and add a note on what else to add in when ready to use...i.e. citris, ect.

Well like I said PM me your addresses so we can get this show on the road also please feel free to add in any suggestions to make this as enjoyable as possible for everyone!!:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Well I am so glad you guys seem to like the idea...I was worried it would flop!

Although the idea of one person shipping it out to people sounds organized and that way it would be fair, no one would get jipt (sp?) but what about that person having to pay for all the shipping?? That could get expensive for one person ...unless when you ship in your spice blend you also include a couple bucks for shipping for your package to come to you in return??
I don't mind doing the work since I just gave in my 2 wks notice...I'll have plenty of time on my hands! :ROFLMAO:
But depending on how many partcipants we get....hint hint!.....I would love the help if it gets very busy! Thank you:cool:

I believe as far the marinades go it would all depend on what goes in it....you can always mix togther the non perishables and add a note on what else to add in when ready to use...i.e. citris, ect.

Well like I said PM me your addresses so we can get this show on the road also please feel free to add in any suggestions to make this as enjoyable as possible for everyone!!:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Here's how we did swaps for cards. Say 20 people agree to swap. I play coordinator. Every person bags up 20 samples of their rub and they write down the recipe and attach it to the bag. They send the 20 samples AND a self addressed flat rate envelope to me. I wait for all 20 people to send me their 20 bags and their self addressed stamped envelopes.

I then cop a squat on my livingroom floor and collate everyone's samples. I then take everyone's self addressed stamp envelope and put the 20 rub samples and recipes in them. I close them up and take them to the PO.

We all pay for our own shipping of the rubs back to us. In the long run, to get 20 rub samples it costs about $9 with current postage rates.

Does that make sense (and did I just volunteer to be the coordinator of this???)?????

lol Callisto!! :LOL: Don't worry your niceness won't bite you in the butt!!

Sounds like a plan.....now how are we going to bully these folks into participating???:devilish::devilish::angel:

lol Callisto!! :LOL: Don't worry your niceness won't bite you in the butt!!

Sounds like a plan.....now how are we going to bully these folks into participating???:devilish::devilish::angel:
Thanks deelady. If we do just dry rubs, no marinades, this would work great.

For a marinade swap you would just do recipes with the dry ingredients and then tell what wet to add. Example, my fave steak marinade for the longest time was Worchestire sauce, garlic salt, and course ground pepper. In this thought process I would send the garlic salt and course ground pepper and the recipe would would include the amount of Worchestire sauce needed.

I love this idea. I think dry rubs and marinades should be different in this case. I should say dry rubs/spice blends.

I was planning on botteling mine up in these small shakers they sell at Cost Plus World Market for 50 cent each. They are a great size for giving away. I can't wait to go get the stuff I will need and to decide on a blend.:chef:

I'm in - just tell me what to do, how many to do, and when to do it! :chef:

Thought in progress - everyone stand back! Shaker bottles are cute but if we just use a ziplock bag it sure would be easier to mail!

Sure why not Luvs!

And I knew we could count on you KE! :cool:

Oh and ziplocks are fine....anything will work! I just happened to know where I could buy them for cheap but if you think it would be better to have them all done the same way thats fine with me!

Flat rate boxes are just under $9. We could do those instead of envelopes. Most marinades don't need to be refridgerated. The meats we put in them do, but not the actual marinade if it doesn't contain dairy. I know none of my marinades need to be refridgerated.

IMO, we would definitely include recipes, that's kind of the point to swapping. Sure, we could just post recipes on the net, but this is so much more fun.

Back
Top Bottom