"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs

Old 09-14-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Will You join us in a Swap?

I was chatting with Lefselover about spice blends and I thought of an idea that I am very excited about and hope you will like it as well!

I thought it would be fun to have a spice blend, marinade, or rub swap. Just like having a cookie swap party but with homemade spice mixtures and of course via mail!

Those interested could swap addresses via PM or you could all PM me your addresses and I could make a mailing list to PM to those interested in participating.

Not for people who just want to receive FREE spices!!! But who actually will participate and send out their own as well!

Lefselover thought she would want to send out an Hebs de Provance and I was thinking of doing a Rosemary salt..... you can make as many different kinds as you want and switch it up whenever!

So will you join us?? Bucky I heard you have a killer blend.....KE??How about you? Come one, come all!

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:52 PM   #2
Sous Chef

I thought it was that other kidna swap..... ohh well thanks for getting my hopes up.

I kidna just wing everything and dont have a set blend or rub. I really should though.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:28 PM   #3
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
I really wish that I could. I have not learned enough to have any real swapable marinades. As far as rubs, I am in ther really early learning stage.

I do think it is a great idea.
AC
Old 09-14-2008, 05:48 PM   #4
Sous Chef

I got a great marinade for chicken but thats about it.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:50 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Sounds like fun A question: Would it be safe to mail a marinade? Just wondering, I really don't know. Seems like it should be fine. What do the rest of you think?
Old 09-14-2008, 05:51 PM   #6
Master Chef

i've a pretty tasty spice blend. i'm fer swapping- i swapped an item with discusscookers before & went very well.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:23 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Sounds like fun A question: Would it be safe to mail a marinade? Just wondering, I really don't know. Seems like it should be fine. What do the rest of you think?
I think it's a great idea and I'm in. I think that dry spices would ship well. I'd love to share some Mexican spice blends that I use regularly in my dishes. The marinades would have to be sent via Express as it's perishable. Unless someone else has other suggestions.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:28 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I used to participate in card swaps like this, they are really fun. If you need help coordinating, I could lend it. It's generally easiest to pick one person to send the spices to and have her/him coordinate sending samples to everyone.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:01 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Well I am so glad you guys seem to like the idea...I was worried it would flop!

Although the idea of one person shipping it out to people sounds organized and that way it would be fair, no one would get jipt (sp?) but what about that person having to pay for all the shipping?? That could get expensive for one person ...unless when you ship in your spice blend you also include a couple bucks for shipping for your package to come to you in return??
I don't mind doing the work since I just gave in my 2 wks notice...I'll have plenty of time on my hands!
But depending on how many partcipants we get....hint hint!.....I would love the help if it gets very busy! Thank you

I believe as far the marinades go it would all depend on what goes in it....you can always mix togther the non perishables and add a note on what else to add in when ready to use...i.e. citris, ect.

Well like I said PM me your addresses so we can get this show on the road also please feel free to add in any suggestions to make this as enjoyable as possible for everyone!!

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:26 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by deelady View Post
Well I am so glad you guys seem to like the idea...I was worried it would flop!

Although the idea of one person shipping it out to people sounds organized and that way it would be fair, no one would get jipt (sp?) but what about that person having to pay for all the shipping?? That could get expensive for one person ...unless when you ship in your spice blend you also include a couple bucks for shipping for your package to come to you in return??
I don't mind doing the work since I just gave in my 2 wks notice...I'll have plenty of time on my hands!
But depending on how many partcipants we get....hint hint!.....I would love the help if it gets very busy! Thank you

I believe as far the marinades go it would all depend on what goes in it....you can always mix togther the non perishables and add a note on what else to add in when ready to use...i.e. citris, ect.

Well like I said PM me your addresses so we can get this show on the road also please feel free to add in any suggestions to make this as enjoyable as possible for everyone!!
Here's how we did swaps for cards. Say 20 people agree to swap. I play coordinator. Every person bags up 20 samples of their rub and they write down the recipe and attach it to the bag. They send the 20 samples AND a self addressed flat rate envelope to me. I wait for all 20 people to send me their 20 bags and their self addressed stamped envelopes.

I then cop a squat on my livingroom floor and collate everyone's samples. I then take everyone's self addressed stamp envelope and put the 20 rub samples and recipes in them. I close them up and take them to the PO.

We all pay for our own shipping of the rubs back to us. In the long run, to get 20 rub samples it costs about $9 with current postage rates.

Does that make sense (and did I just volunteer to be the coordinator of this???)?????

Tags
None