Worcestershire sauce: how long does it last?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stephie

Assistant Cook
:ermm: Does anyone know the shelf life of Worchestershire sauce after it has been opened? I have a gallon of it that is quite old and am unsure if I should use it.

agreed, it does last quite a long time, although you will need to give it a shake before use as some of the particulate matter will settle over time.

Well, It was given to me and I am guessing it is anywhere between 2-4 years old. I know that the last bottle that I bought had an expiration date for 2008. I just do not want to get anyone sick.

Thank you for replying.

hmmmm...not really sure. I ususally go through a bottle every year and sometimes sooner than a year.

That brings up a good point.........when we were moving last February I cleaned out the refrigerator and cabinets and noted the expirations date on several things that were expired..... things I didn't even think about checking for an expiration date. Now I really check my items.

jenny et al, you need a bigger veggie gardens.

worcestershire sauce is not only great on tomatoes, but on most steamed or raw veggies, especially young peas, brussel sprouts, or zucchini.

it's also great with raw fish, as a change from soy and wasabi.

or as the marinade for jerked or grilled meats.

i kill a large bottle every summer and fall.

as i've recommended before, slice and marinate some raw tomatoes in worcestershire sauce. it's so good you be sucking up the seeds and sauce from the plate.

I kill a bottle or two every summer as well Bucky. I use it in marinades. I put it in my burgers. I love it on veggies. Great stuff.

Stephie, it will last almost forever.

I use it a lot but in smaller quantities, I guess. W-sauce and Soy sauce are "chef's secret" ingredients to bring out the umami in foods.

While I like W-sauce, I find that its assertive taste sort of drowns out others sometimes, which is why I don't use a whole lot of it. Caesar salad dressing for example -- a drop of two really makes the dressing but too much ruins it, IMO.

Bucky -- I did take up your suggestion about drizzling it on fresh garden tomatoes and wow:ROFLMAO: . GOOD!

buckytom said:
that's "the police", from the synchronicity album.

oh wait, wrong thread...:)

:ROFLMAO:

Yea, I think I have had my bottle for several years... I guess I am not using enough of it. And the tomato pairing sounds devine!! I must try this cuz I love tomatos!!!!

I have also noticed that xperiation dates are popping up on everything now... long gone the days when you thought stuff lasted forever!!!

Thank you so much for the replies, I appreciate it. The gallon is because it was given to me, however, I use it in just about everything. I just wanted to make sure that it was still fit for ingestion. :)

I think of it as one of those things that won't exactly "spoil" but its flavor depth will probably reduce -- much like old spices, I'd say.

I tend to have my bottles forever. Even worse, I made a mistake thinking I was buying a great, big, huge soy sauce recently (which I WOULD use up quickly) and it turned out to be a liter of Worchestershire sauce instead! Aaaargh!

I went on some web sites for expiration dates for WOR Sauce and even they can't agree. One said a year and another one said 5 years. :ermm:

Considering, historically accurate or not, it took 2 years for Worcestershire to be "discovered" fermenting in a cellar and suddenly deemed to be delicious! (I love it myself) I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have a bottle of it that must be at least 2 years old; it got buried in the back of my pantry so I bought a new bottle. But the old bottle still tastes quite good. :chef:

Fraidy

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom