Worcestershire, soy, fish sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
Do y'all use this often for the Unammi effect?

I made a very nice Gumbo soup last night, but ran out of Worstershier, so I subbed Soy Sauce...

It came out really nice!

I also have fish sauce for Asian cooking..

What do y'all use, if any?

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

We don't use them as subs, but yes we use them often. We like making worcestershire sauce using Emeril's recipe. It is sooooooo much better than the best commercial brands.

I don't know about you mommy, but my mommy cooked with it a lot...

Actually, I've been using soy sauce and fish sauce a lot recently, probably, at least once a week, in stir fries, soups, and dipping sauces. I'm starting to learn to differences between many different soy sauces; Korean, Japanese, and Chinese. There are so many brands of each it's astonishing.
Think of how many brands of ketchup or mayonnaise there are.
Multiply that by 1000 for soy sauce.

My wife despises Worcestershire sauce so I don't use it often. Occasionally hidden in a meat marinade if she's eating it. But My boy and I love it on steamed veggies and raw tomatoes. It was the only way my dad could get me to eat cooked peas, or cauliflower, lima beans, or carrots when I was a kid.

Do yourself a favor and slice up a nice, ripe tomato and douse it with Worcestershire sauce. We love it so much that we end up drinking the remaining sauce, seeds, and mucilage from the plate when the tomatoes are gone.

Craigsy, I'm going to look up Emeril's recipe. I never heard of anyone making their own. Thanks for the heads up.

Just remember to let it age! If not you'll be cursing my name high and low.:ROFLMAO:

It's a fermented sauce, right?
I remember meeting a guy in a pub once who said he grew up near a Worcestershire plant in England. Supposedly, the area stank to high heaven while it aged.

No, it gets canned and mellows with age. If you taste it right when its done, you won't like it.:( I'll tell you though, in his "BBQ" shrimp recipe, you can tell the difference between the homemade and commercial.

Craig, do you have a link to Emeril's recipe or which cookbook it's in? Thanks!

I use all three sauces frequently. Grew up on soy sauce, it was used as a seasoning in most dishes made by my Mom, Dad spent a year in Korea and then 6 months in Okinawa, brought soy sauce home.

I haven't used it yet, but I did find a tube of anchovy paste at Winco, of all places. I remember Chef John used it in a recipe I wanted to try. I just can't find the recipe now!

Craig, do you have a link to Emeril's recipe or which cookbook it's in? Thanks!

I use all three sauces frequently. Grew up on soy sauce, it was used as a seasoning in most dishes made by my Mom, Dad spent a year in Korea and then 6 months in Okinawa, brought soy sauce home.

It is in his "Louisiana Real and Rustic" book. I've never looked up a link. Beware of grating fresh horseradish!:ohmy:

It is in his "Louisiana Real and Rustic" book. I've never looked up a link. Beware of grating fresh horseradish!:ohmy:

Thanks, I believe I have that cookbook, if not I soon will.:) I know about grating horseradish, Dad used to harvest some every year...sinus killer. Could smell it for a week after.

Just as a side note, freshly grated horseradish and grated beets are a delicious side dish. My MIL served it at every holiday meal. It does clear your sinuses right out.

Before she showed me what a horseradish root looks like, I only knew that it came in little jars and was either simply grated or cream style. :chef:

Hmm, I wonder what beets taste like with a splash of Worcestershire sauce?

Oki, Emrils, doesnt even look like real deal when it comes to Worcestershire sauce, we only use the original Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce.

I guess people know how to pronounce it.

In this home we have Chinese mushroom soy, two type Japanese Soy, Kikoman soy and no fish sauce but also HP sauce, Hoisin sauce and malt vinegar.

Oki, Emrils, doesnt even look like real deal when it comes to Worcestershire sauce, we only use the original Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce.

I guess people know how to pronounce it.

In this home we have Chinese mushroom soy, two type Japanese Soy, Kikoman soy and no fish sauce but also HP sauce, Hoisin sauce and malt vinegar.

What is the real deal? You do know that L&P was created in an attempt to recreate a sauce from one of England's colonies during their imperialism?

Do y'all use this often for the Umami effect?

I made a very nice Gumbo soup last night, but ran out of Worcestershire, so I subbed Soy Sauce...

It came out really nice!

I also have fish sauce for Asian cooking..

What do y'all use, if any?

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

I recommend Fish sauce as the substitute, as both of them have fish in them, but not soy sauce.

CraigC: Worchestershire sauce was made by chemists John Wheeley Lea and William Perrins (Mr Lea and Mr Perrins), hence I see this as the original and since this company holds the oldest recipe, since it was those who made it , I see the rest as copies.

CraigC: Worchestershire sauce was made by chemists John Wheeley Lea and William Perrins (Mr Lea and Mr Perrins), hence I see this as the original and since this company holds the oldest recipe, since it was those who made it , I see the rest as copies.

Obviously they weren't the first to make it according to Lea and Perrins themselves.

About us Lea & Perrins ®

"... Returning home from his travels in Bengal, Lord Sandys, a nobleman of the area, was eager to duplicate a recipe he'd acquired. On Lord Sandys' request, two chemists—John Lea and William Perrins—made up the first batch of the sauce..."

And, if you look at the ingredient list, quite a few of them are the same and/or very similar. Interesting also that they give 3 different "correct" pronunciations of worcestershire.

I've always liked the commercially made brands of worcestershire but I have to say that I much prefer the Emeril's. When doing a side by side taste test, it seems to be smoother and doesn't have as much of the harshness/sharpness/whatever that I taste in the commericial brands. I'd use it exclusively if it wasn't such a job to make it and can it.

Back
Top Bottom