"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs

Old 08-05-2014, 12:35 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I like Crystal or Franks for wings and everyday use.

I do not like Texas Pete at all.

Costco has both Franks and Tabasco Brand on the shelf and i always have both on hand.
The Tabasco Brand is a bit hot. Maybe a bit too hot?

Old 08-05-2014, 01:02 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I like Crystal or Franks for wings and everyday use.

I do not like Texas Pete at all.

Costco has both Franks and Tabasco Brand on the shelf and i always have both on hand.
The Tabasco Brand is a bit hot. Maybe a bit too hot?
Tabasco is a fairly hot pepper, so the sauce is going to be hot. If you think it's too hot, though, stay away from all those above it on this chart From Chilli Facts Pure-Sauce.Com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scoville-scale.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	21606  

Old 08-05-2014, 01:26 PM   #13
Master Chef

I don't like any hot sauce that has vinegar as the first ingredient, in fact until I discovered this I thought all hot sauces were terrible. Thanks to DC, I found this a few years ago and it's all I use........good stuff indeed.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:53 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Thanks for sharing...this has been fun and informative. I have seen Sriracha (sp?) chili sauce at the stores but never tried it. It is definitely on my shopping list because we cook a lot of Asian dishes. Frank's seems to be the 'standard' for hot wings. I've also tasted some scorching hot barbecue sauces and think anything so hot that it overpowers the flavor of good pork or brisket barbecue is a cop-out.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:01 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

I like hot sauce on/in some things but not a lot of things. I don't care for hot BBQ sauce but like Tabasco on mac and cheese. Hot wings but not hot cheese. You get the idea.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:21 PM   #16
Wine Guy

Here's one that I'm sure most DC folks will find strange, if not an outright crime: I only eat pizza with Tabasco sauce on it.

It was a taste I developed as a teenager and, to this day, I don't care for pizza without it. A lot of places don't have Tabasco on hand, so my wife always carries a mini bottle in her purse.

I've had pizza in Naples Italy, and am sure I offended more than a few of the nationals by dousing their local pies with hot sauce.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:31 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Your favorite hot sauces ??

I don't find it strange. We only eat pizza with "sprinkles" (hot pepper flakes). Will have to try the Tabasco.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:00 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiklitmanfan View Post
Thanks for sharing...this has been fun and informative. I have seen Sriracha (sp?) chili sauce at the stores but never tried it. It is definitely on my shopping list because we cook a lot of Asian dishes. Frank's seems to be the 'standard' for hot wings. I've also tasted some scorching hot barbecue sauces and think anything so hot that it overpowers the flavor of good pork or brisket barbecue is a cop-out.
Just to clarify, Sriracha is great with all cuisines, not just Asian. I do a lot of Mexican and couldn't do without it anymore. It's great on Pizza too.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:05 PM   #19
Executive Chef

If you get into Korean food, you won't get far until dishes require Gochujang paste.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:31 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I don't find it strange. We only eat pizza with "sprinkles" (hot pepper flakes). Will have to try the Tabasco.
Same here.

Tags
hot sauce, sauce, sauces