"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs

Old 08-06-2014, 12:38 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Tabasco is a fairly hot pepper, so the sauce is going to be hot. If you think it's too hot, though, stay away from all those above it on this chart From Chilli Facts » Pure-Sauce.Com
I would not bet my life on that list even though I'm certain its pretty close to being right.

I have learned that heat is not always in the name of the sauce or pepper itself.
I have had banana peppers that made cayenne taste like bell pepper as far as Scovile or how hot it was..
I've had Habanero sauce that was milder than Tabasco brand sauce.
So there are many sauces and peppers on that list that i could eat that are well above cayenne.
In a perfect world, that list would work.

Quick story.
Took a big basket of peppers to the local bar yesterday. Had over 200 habanero, 50 or so Ghost peppers (Bhut Jolokia) and an assortment of another types..

Had a guy ask me why the ghost peppers were wrinkled and i explained thats how they are supposed to look and showed him a picture on my phone.
Well he decided he was going to prove it was not as hot as advertised and took a large bite out of one of them.
Then proceeded to finish the rest of the single pepper.

I can only say two things.
I felt sorry for him.
I was laughing inside so hard it hurt. It was funny accept I thought he might actually get sick.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:22 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I would not bet my life on that list even though I'm certain its pretty close to being right.

I have learned that heat is not always in the name of the sauce or pepper itself.
I have had banana peppers that made cayenne taste like bell pepper as far as Scovile or how hot it was..
I've had Habanero sauce that was milder than Tabasco brand sauce.
So there are many sauces and peppers on that list that i could eat that are well above cayenne.
In a perfect world, that list would work.
Yes, like anything in nature, there will be variations. I suspect the list is based on averages.

Quote:
Quick story.
Took a big basket of peppers to the local bar yesterday. Had over 200 habanero, 50 or so Ghost peppers (Bhut Jolokia) and an assortment of another types..

Had a guy ask me why the ghost peppers were wrinkled and i explained thats how they are supposed to look and showed him a picture on my phone.
Well he decided he was going to prove it was not as hot as advertised and took a large bite out of one of them.
Then proceeded to finish the rest of the single pepper.

I can only say two things.
I felt sorry for him.
I was laughing inside so hard it hurt. It was funny accept I thought he might actually get sick.
Jeez, poor guy! That's what trying to be macho gets you

When our first German exchange student arrived, we had a nice crop of veggies, including hot peppers. We were talking about the different kinds and he told us he really liked hot foods. I was a bit skeptical, since he grew up in the former East Germany, but I got a cayenne pepper and cut the tip off. I told him to just touch his tongue to the end of the cut pepper, but no - he had to take a big bite. His face immediately turned red, he started tearing up and he coughed. I would almost swear I saw steam coming out of his ears I tried to warn him!

Old 08-06-2014, 02:33 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Jeez, poor guy! That's what trying to be macho gets you
I told him how hot it was and showed him the Scoville scale that accompanied the Wiki article before he ate it.
He ate all of it except the stem. Seeds and membranes!
The first bite did not register immediately and thats when he went for the remaining bite. It was a big pepper too......LOL

It was this information that prompted an attempt to outwit that little device I call a smart phone.
The phone won.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #34
Senior Cook

Hot sauces

I think Frank's, Tobasco (original), and Sriracha covers it all for most cooking, but I can't help picking up an odd brand at the dollar store every now and then and I have found a three good ones there- Mancini, Tapatio and Louisiana. Louisiana brand is very much like Frank's and the other two are between Frank's and Tobasco in hotness. I'd rank Sriracha almost as hot as Tobasco, but with a flavoring than reminds me of chili peppers. Tapatio also has a chili flavor but is not as hot as Sriracha and it is great in salsa.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:32 PM   #35
Head Chef

GotGarlic Stock Pot mentioned the only one on my shelf. Tapatío

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:12 PM   #36
Executive Chef

For Asian food - Hoy Fong Chili Garlic Sauce

For Mexican food - Cholula or Tapatio

For chicken wings - Frank's (formerly Durkee's Frank's) hot sauce

For eating with tortilla chips or garnishing Mexican food items - Pace medium Pincante sauce or La Victoria medium salsa
Old 08-08-2014, 09:49 PM   #37
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
You may have had a Hungarian Wax instead. You can tell them from banana peppers because one will try and burn your cheeks off, from the inside.

They can be difficult to tell apart unless sitting side by side.

You could have also found some banana peppers that were unusually hot.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:54 AM   #38
Master Chef

Did someone say "exploding mosquito"?

This is what we currently have in rotation:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-09 03.03.28.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	21645  
Old 08-09-2014, 07:58 AM   #39
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I have used most of the sauces mentioned. Our one and only Mexican restaurant uses Valentina, which is pretty good. I recently discovered that the Texas Pete folks have produced their version of sriracha, which is mighty good.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:20 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

I forgot, I do have an Asian chili garlic sauce I use in marinades sometimes. If something tastes a bit flat, just a half teaspoon or so gives it some nice zing

Tags
hot sauce, sauce, sauces