Adzuki bean suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redkitty

Executive Chef
Hi all, any recipe suggestions for adzuki beans? This is what I have so far...

Adzuki and squash soup, 2 other soup recipes, thai curried veggies with adzuki beans and adzuki bean tacos.

I'm a vegetarian, so looking for meatless options! Any suggestions appreciated! :D

I also read that they are highly nutritious with 25% protein, one of the highest ratios among beans. :)

Adzuki Bean, excellent choice. Try them with rice. Any other recipe you have that uses beans...use the adzuki. One of the best bean; I agree.Small, delicate, high in protein. Beans supply: iron,folate,zinc,calicum.

I just had a sample of the Adzuki Bean soup I made today! I'm sooo excited because its sooo tasty! First time Ive tried Adzukis!

Thanks for the reply Aria!

Desert:
I just made sweet red bean paste from adzuki beans and then used it as a filling for red bean paste pancakes (some kind of Japanese pancakes; not like ordinary ones). I don't have a clue what I'm doing in the kitchen and I had to use a can of shaving foam for a rolling pin but they turned out great!

Recipes - Red Bean Paste Pancakes Recipe
(you can find several red bean recipes knocking around the internet; they all seem pretty simply and vary mostly in the amount of sugar).

Thanks Sean, that was almost a year ago when I made this post! I cook with adzuki's often now and love them! Lots of soups, but my favorite is spicy adzukis & kale over brown rice. :)

I have read about the sweet bean paste they make in Japan, might have to give it a try!

Thanks Sean, that was almost a year ago when I made this post! I cook with adzuki's often now and love them! Lots of soups, but my favorite is spicy adzukis & kale over brown rice. :)

I have read about the sweet bean paste they make in Japan, might have to give it a try!

Oh boy! A new thing to try!

After reading this thread, I had a few more minutes left of my lunch break, so I ran over next door to the Asian supermarket and found the beans. I assume they are the right ones, from pictures I googled and the description - what English is printed on the package says "Dried Red Bean". They are about the size of a navy bean, a little smaller maybe.

Would you please post your recipe for spicy beans and kale over rice, redkitty?

Thanks!

Lee

Certainly Lee! I'd love too, let me have a few gulps of my mojito and I'll post it here for you. It's very tasty! (the mojito is very tasty too!)

The beans you bought are red right? And yes, a little smaller than navy beans.

Sorry Lee! I forgot to post this for you last night.

KALE & ADZUKI BEANS
Serve over brown rice or couscous

* 1 cup uncooked adzuki beans
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 6 cups roughly chopped kale
* 2 tablespoons water
* 1/4 cup tamari
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1 teaspoon ground coriander
* salt and pepper to taste

Soak the beans overnight in water, drain and rinse. Place adzuki beans in a medium saucepan with 6 cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 30 to 45 minutes, until tender. (If you don't soak them just cook for about 2 hours)

Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat, and saute garlic for couple minutes. Mix in kale and 2 tablespoons water. Season with tamari, cumin, and coriander. Thoroughly blend in adzuki beans. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer about 10-20 minutes, until kale is tender. Season with salt and pepper.

Sometimes I throw a pinch of cayenne pepper in. :)

Ah, thanks, red!

I just went looking for it, as I was watching Ina Garten make a lunch of pea soup and a sandwich of goat cheese, roasted red peppers, fresh basil and red onion. I thought of you!

(But it looked good enough for a carnivore like me to make! :))

I'm printing out your recipe now - all I need to get is kale!

Lee

Hey Lee, I made this again tonight.....soooo tasty! With locally grown kale, it was almost too beautiful to cook!!!

redkitty, I just made this but I drained the beans after I cooked them. Now I'm thinking I shouldn't have, and that this is more of a soup than a side dish?????

What do you think? Should I add back some stock?

Lee

No, I drain them. When I make it I serve it over brown rice or quinoa but have never made it into a soup.

No, I drain them. When I make it I serve it over brown rice or quinoa but have never made it into a soup.

Oops!

I added sliced, browned turkey kielbasa, and the dish didn't look the way I had in mind, so I added back some chicken stock and some beef stock to make it soupier.

I'm so used to Portugese kale soup, that I guess that's more what I was looking for.

I added a teaspoon of sambal, too. Can't wait to have it for dinner this coming week!

Thanks for your help, redkitty!

Lee

[/

Alright Lee! Looks great, let me know what you think! I've made soup with the adzuki's too, very yummy!

Redkitty ... loved it! The beans held their shape and "tooth" without getting mushy, and the cumin-coriander-soy flavoriings were a nice change.

(but I gotta tell you .... the turkey kielbasa really made it!) ;)

Adzukis are a keeper!

Lee

I'm really glad you liked them! They are a keeper for me too! Next week I'm going to make another soup, if it comes out good I'll post the recipe for you!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom