"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 08-09-2005, 12:59 PM   #11
Senior Cook

I use pistachios in my pesto instead of pine nuts. Toast them a little then grind them up. Absolutely killer!

Old 08-09-2005, 08:40 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to TheLemonSong
Iron Chef-
While that was an interesting post, in my opinion the source was biased and further more not enough time nor study has ever been put forth to show anything but a general trend that SUGGESTS that soy beans could be good for such illness. Thats not to say they're not healthy, or to say that your post was inaccurate, rather it is to say that while soy nuts are good, lets not go overboard just yet...

My point that they weren't as good as you think was meant to characterize it nutritionally. Soy nuts are all the rage right now, and in my opinion there are better nuts out there (walnuts and almonds being among the best). This is not to say that soy nuts are bad for you, but rather to say that I would not choose them over almonds personally for this pesto recipe...

I began using this recipe in order to add essential fats to my diet, and as your nutritional data shows soy nuts are not as high in fat (and certainly no where near almonds in EFAs!) and contain a much larger amount of carbohydrates (which I'm already getting in the pasta I plan to put the pesto on). I'm sure they might taste great in a pesto sauce, but nutritionally I'd say almonds are about the best you can get in place of the standard pine nut without sacrificing taste.

Old 08-09-2005, 09:59 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaGourmet
I use pistachios in my pesto instead of pine nuts. Toast them a little then grind them up. Absolutely killer!
Bubba - that sounds GREAT!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 10:23 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaGourmet
I use pistachios as well. They add a little something extra to the pesto.

Tags
None