"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 01-03-2012, 10:37 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
That's cooked rice, correct?
Yeppers, pretty certain. Perhaps somebody can back me up on this cooking lore:

one cup of uncooked rice = three cups of cooked rice

Old 01-04-2012, 08:20 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I too wish we could switch to the metric system, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. The US had a plan to go metric when I was in college and now I've had my entire career and retired and there's still no progress in going metric. I sometimes wonder if the US is waiting for the world to recognize the error of their ways and go off the metric system. It's embarrassing to be the only significant country in the world not on the metric system. In fact the US may be the only country not on the metric system.
You know those signs outside banks and other buildings that give the temps? Well when we were trying to convert to metric, they were showing temp in metric only. So many people were ging inside and asking what the real temp was. They then switched to giving the temp in metric first and farenheight second. That didn't work either. We simply didn't like the change and were not willing to even try. We do not care of recipes that are given in metric. That is why you hear cooks form other countries give their measurements in mectric and decimal. That is if they wish to go global.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Yeppers, pretty certain. Perhaps somebody can back me up on this cooking lore:

I don't see how that can be when it takes two cups of water for that one cup of uncooked rice. Maybe 2.5 cups due to the swelling of the rice.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Don't you have a wood burning cook stove?
Not yet--researching making an outdoor one--it would not work to cook indoors on a wood burning stove when it is 30C with a humidex of 100!
Old 01-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
You know those signs outside banks and other buildings that give the temps? Well when we were trying to convert to metric, they were showing temp in metric only. So many people were ging inside and asking what the real temp was. They then switched to giving the temp in metric first and farenheight second. That didn't work either. We simply didn't like the change and were not willing to even try. We do not care of recipes that are given in metric. That is why you hear cooks form other countries give their measurements in mectric and decimal. That is if they wish to go global.
Metric is decimal (it works by tens). People in the US use US measure. People in the British Commonwealth used to use Imperial measure. The liquid measure wasn't the same in those two systems.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #36
Wine Guy

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but about 10 years or so ago I began making wine as a hobby. Since many of the books I learned from reference metric measurements, I decided to swallow my US pride and learn it. Maybe "re-learn it" is a better phrase, since we had this stuff in grade school. Anyway, I'm glad I did. It really is much easier to use than our antiquated system and I, for one, would welcome the change.

By the way, in response to another post, the British haven't fully converted to metric in practice. They are just as stubborn as we are. Although gas is sold by the liter, everything over there is still measured in miles (just watch "Top Gear" sometime and you'll see what I mean). And I know quite a few Brits, albeit mostly my age or older, who also live by the inch and foot, and prefer Fahrenheit over Celsius.

And just try walking into a pub and asking for 0.57 liters of beer, rather than a pint.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
And just try walking into a pub and asking for 0.57 liters of beer, rather than a pint.
Ah, that's a funny one.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
Rice expands as it cooks. It does not solely depend on the volume of rice plus the volume of water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
We simply didn't like the change and were not willing to even try. We do not care of recipes that are given in metric.
That's it right there. Most Americans do not wish to go metric. People don't like change. It does not matter that the metric system is easier to use. It's unlikely that more than a few people ever give it any thought at all.

I'd switch in a second if I could, but I've accepted that it won't happen in my lifetime. In the mean time I can think and speak in metric if whenever I have dealings with international people, which isn't very often.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #39
Master Chef

As far as rice trippling I think it is a very common acurance.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but about 10 years or so ago I began making wine as a hobby. Since many of the books I learned from reference metric measurements, I decided to swallow my US pride and learn it. Maybe "re-learn it" is a better phrase, since we had this stuff in grade school. Anyway, I'm glad I did. It really is much easier to use than our antiquated system and I, for one, would welcome the change.

By the way, in response to another post, the British haven't fully converted to metric in practice. They are just as stubborn as we are. Although gas is sold by the liter, everything over there is still measured in miles (just watch "Top Gear" sometime and you'll see what I mean). And I know quite a few Brits, albeit mostly my age or older, who also live by the inch and foot, and prefer Fahrenheit over Celsius.

There are only two things that are difficult about metric.
1) Getting used to Celsius for temperature
2) translating back and forth between metric and some antiquated, bizarre system.

Tags
recipe, rice

Always making too much rice I recently bought a 25# bag of rice thinking I'll try to get more in my diet. I have a cheap rice cooker that can make about 3 cups at a time. I eat about a fist-sized portion for dinner and throw 2 cups away each time I make rice. Does anyone know a recipe for day old rice that can be reheated for a side or made into an entree? Thanks! 3 stars 1 reviews