Any Pasta toppings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lulu's right, of course. Not only should you do this yourself to give mum a night off, but presuming there'll be a time in the future when the woman in your life is somebody other than mum, remember, women just love a man who knows how to cook them something yummy! And pasta gives you a lot of sexy-food points with relatively little fuss or muss...

Oh trust me, I know how to cook.
I just don't like pasta all that much.
If my mom wanted a day off I'd make something else, like crab, or steak or chicken or something.
My girlfriend doesn't like pasta.

I hate onions.... but I love onion rings for some reason.
It depends what the lemon is used with.

well, it would be a good challenge, to make a pasta you like, your mother likes, and by cooking something she knows you are not 100% keen on, she'll know how much you care.

Pasta is a useful meal not least because it can be made in a very inexpensive way, so is useful when you leave home. I think you are being very sensible looking for ways you will enjoy it more. Who knows, maybe you will be able to wine your girlfriend over too.

Pasta with crab meat is less affordable to many, but simply wonderful. And so easy to do...once you have shelled the crab. A nice long flat pasta..linguine for example, is excellent for this.

I have never had pasta with lemon sauce, but feel inspired now, so I'm going to try it. I love lemon risotto.

Hmmm, Gobo, you're a tough one!

Don't like onions but like onion rings? Well, that could be because you haven't had really nice cooked onions, or it could be because you're concentrating on the nice, greasy, tasty outer crust of the rings and ignoring the inside. To me there are few things as wonderful as onions sauteed nice and slow and long on a slow fire -- a good 30 minutes, at least. They're so sweet it's unbelievable. Take those and their butter or oil and mix it in with hot pasta and plenty of freshly-ground pepper and it's just plain nectar.

As for lemon and what it's used with ... well, pasta in this case. A nice tagliatelle maybe, plus plenty of butter or oil, plus the finely-grated zest and the fresh parmesan. Very light, very fresh.

I have to wonder if you (and your girlfriend) have been exposed to really good pasta. It's so amazingly versatile -- can be heavy or light, spicy or not, and takes SO many flavors so well. There must be something in there you'd both like!

I mentioned the Hazans (Marcella and her son, Giuliano) but the book by the son (The Classic Pasta Cookbook) is one you should really consider getting if you want to come up with a variety of nice ways of fixing pasta. It's produced by DK so it's FULL of really enticing photos and is 100% about different ways of making pasta. It's a great book!

Lulu, I'll trade you my (Giuliano's!) lemon pasta for your lemon risotto!! I love risotto, but the only one I eat is my hubby's fabulous chicken one. PM it to me or post it?

I'm going to second Ayrton's question: have you ever had great pasta? And for that matter a great marinara or tomato-based sauce? I'm not talking anything store-bought or from Olive Garden; though neither of these are bad, they just don't represent how great a good red sauce can be.

Sticking to your preferances, you might try a Vodka sauce- there are some that can be store-bought, though I imagine you're probably better off making your own. An easy recipe I found:

Vodka Sauce

I would also highly reccommend the carbonara, its quite delicious.

Also- you don't always have to think of pasta in Italian terms. The noodles most of us think of when we think of pasta do very well with many Asian sauces as well. There have been plenty of times that I used spaghetti or Fettucine or even Rotini in a pinch. If you like Asian-style food you could try this.

There are several incredible peanut sauces you can find in your local store, and I would suggest starting there.

I just remembered a Nigella Lawson recipe which you might like Gobo.

I can't remember the exact details...I am sure you can google it if you are interested, but its tagliatelle with roast chicken coarsely shredded into is with sultanas and toasted pine kernals and presumably garlicy oil.

Ayrton said:
Hmmm, Gobo, you're a tough one!

Don't like onions but like onion rings? Well, that could be because you haven't had really nice cooked onions, or it could be because you're concentrating on the nice, greasy, tasty outer crust of the rings and ignoring the inside. To me there are few things as wonderful as onions sauteed nice and slow and long on a slow fire -- a good 30 minutes, at least. They're so sweet it's unbelievable. Take those and their butter or oil and mix it in with hot pasta and plenty of freshly-ground pepper and it's just plain nectar.

As for lemon and what it's used with ... well, pasta in this case. A nice tagliatelle maybe, plus plenty of butter or oil, plus the finely-grated zest and the fresh parmesan. Very light, very fresh.

I have to wonder if you (and your girlfriend) have been exposed to really good pasta. It's so amazingly versatile -- can be heavy or light, spicy or not, and takes SO many flavors so well. There must be something in there you'd both like!

I mentioned the Hazans (Marcella and her son, Giuliano) but the book by the son (The Classic Pasta Cookbook) is one you should really consider getting if you want to come up with a variety of nice ways of fixing pasta. It's produced by DK so it's FULL of really enticing photos and is 100% about different ways of making pasta. It's a great book!

Lulu, I'll trade you my (Giuliano's!) lemon pasta for your lemon risotto!! I love risotto, but the only one I eat is my hubby's fabulous chicken one. PM it to me or post it?

I like the onion on the inside too cause the onion falls out sometimes and i eat it alone.

I'm weird like that.

I have been exposed to good pasta... but it's all too plain. That's why I'm looking for things I like on top.

As for my girlfriend, she's been raised eating whatever she wants. I went over for dinner. Her mom served pork with a mushroom broth on top, rice, and salad. My girlfriend hates rice, so her mom made mashed potatoes, she hates salad, so she didnt have any, and she didn't like the mushroom broth, so her mom cooked the pork and broth separate, so she didnt have to have any, and we still could.

college_cook said:
An easy recipe I found:

Vodka Sauce

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh! keep in mind gobo's still underaged!
(and don't run with scissors, while I'm in Mom-mode:-p )

Here's my favorite fettucine ever. Yes, there are peas, but maybe you like those?

1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 tsp marjoram
1 c. whipping ceam
1-1/2 c. frozen peas
1 jar real bacon bits (2 or 3 oz)
3 cooked chicken breasts, cut up
1/2 tsp pepper
1 pound fettuccine
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp butter (for second half)
1 c. milk
4-5 roma tomatoes, in eighths
1 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground corriander (this really makes it tasty!)

Boil water in a large kettle & add salt. In a large skillet, melt butter. Add onions & cook till tender. Add marjoram, cream, peas, bacon, chicken & pepper. Cook over medium till all is heated through. Meanwhile, put pasta in boiling water & cook for the time listed on box. To the contents of the skilet, add lemon juice & stir well & heat through. Add the pasta. Mix well & turn off heat. Let sit for 5 minutes. Mix in remaining butter, milk, tomatoes, nutmeg & corriander. Turn heat on low & simmer till tomatoes are hot.

Also, Gobo, when I was a teenager, I adored onion rings, and, like you, hated onions. Then I realized I liked some onions more than others. For example, Vidalia onions have a natural sweetness to them. They are amazing when made into rings.

one more suggestion - a great way to learn to like new foods is to experiment with them. Buy something from the produce dept that you've never tried and see what it tastes like. Ask all of us for suggestions and see what happens:chef:

Why don't we start with a list of what you do like, then maybe we can figure out some way to add it to pasta.

BTW, do you like pasta? Or is that the problem?

Morning Gobo!

Just when I was about to tell you that, no, marshmallow pasta is not an option ... you admit you actually like the inside of the onion rings too. There's hope for you yet, kid!

So, first off, you need to revise your "I don't like onions" statement because it's not true. Evidently you don't like some onions, and so far it appears that cooked onions might possibly land on your "yes" list. Is it raw ones you don't like?

If you like the insides of onion rings, one day please, just for me, take an onion and slice it and plunk it in a pan with either olive oil or butter, turn the heat on as low as possible, and let it cook for a half hour. Turn it occasionally, but otherwise just wait until it's golden brown, very soft and limp, and reduced greatly in size. Pull a bit out and try it -- is it sweet? Is it more like the insides of onion rings?

As for your girlfriend and her mother, sigh ... mostly I feel sorry that her mother decided to indulge her this way because I honestly, with all my heart, think that she's missing out on so many wonderful foods by having been allowed to get so picky. Still, while I'm grateful I was raised not being allowed to refuse ANY food (could only have a "no-thank-you serving" which I had to eat) and maybe because of it as an adult I'm open to almost any food (bugs excepted) ... as a mother I have to admit it can be easier said than done. My son who's almost your age will try almost anything but my younger daughter turns up her nose and refuses point-blank, and I'd swear they were raised the same way ...

Anyways! You're only 18 and it's really promising that you're hanging out on this site. That means the interest is there and that's the most important part. Now if you'd just try to open up a wee bit more to new flavors ...?

Pasta sauce suggestion

Good Morning!!!!!!!!!
Here are the ingredients for one of my favourite pasta toppings. If u need cooking instructions, to go with this, just let me know.
Mel

Pears
Vegetable stock
White wine
Butter
Olive oil
Red onion
Garlic
Walnuts
Oregano
Lemon juice
Blue cheese
Salt and pepper

I can't help but notice by the way this thread has been going, how amazingly patient most people in DC are... :angel:

FryBoy said:
Why don't we start with a list of what you do like, then maybe we can figure out some way to add it to pasta.

BTW, do you like pasta? Or is that the problem?

I'm not a big fan of pasta, thats why i need something great on top...

Things I like...
Well i cant think of it all
But....
Any fruit
any meat
any seafood
broccoli
cauliflower
carrots
celery
brussel sprouts
spinach
pumpkins
cabbage
green beans
corn
peas
lettuce
garlic
potatoes

Thats just covering fruits, veggies, and meats.

Back
Top Bottom