"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 09-17-2006, 10:57 AM   #51
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboenomo
??

What
Are those question marks meant for me and the garlic butter comment???

Old 09-17-2006, 11:06 AM   #52
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
Yes they are.

Old 09-17-2006, 11:10 AM   #53
Sous Chef

Sorry, then!!

All I meant was that good pasta with butter and garlic is delicious all on its own. Why ... even NOT so good pasta with butter and garlic is pretty good!

That's what I meant -- you could do worse (in terms of finding stuff to put on pasta) than just plain ol' butter and garlic.

Although ... having said that ... butter and garlic and fresh parmesan would be even better!
Old 09-17-2006, 01:09 PM   #54
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
Quote:
??

What
It's an American idiomatic expression -- when someone says "you could do worse," it means that you've made a good choice, that there are lots and lots of other choices that would not be as good.

Thus to say that you could do worse than butter and garlic is to acknowledge that butter and garlic are very good on pasta.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:13 PM   #55
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
Of course they are.
That's why I use them.

Yesterday I tried something interesting...
It wasn't pasta... well... is Gnocchi considered pasta? I feel like it might, and it might not.

Anyways
I had it once about 3 months ago with a tomato and meat sauce... I didn't like the sauce all that much, so I tried something of my own at home.

I put butter, parsley, parmesan, and mozzerella on it.
It was great!
But I had to share it, so it didn't last long.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:37 PM   #56
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstix
I can't help but notice by the way this thread has been going, how amazingly patient most people in DC are...
And, as evidenced by your most politely worded post here, just as diplomatic.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:33 AM   #57
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryBoy
It's an American idiomatic expression -- when someone says "you could do worse," it means that you've made a good choice, that there are lots and lots of other choices that would not be as good.

Thus to say that you could do worse than butter and garlic is to acknowledge that butter and garlic are very good on pasta.
Thank you, FryBoy. Couldn't have come up with such a clear explanation if I'd tried! Besides, guess I thought it was a common expression in much of the English-speaking world. Not so, huh?
Old 09-18-2006, 04:37 AM   #58
Sous Chef

Quote:
Of course they are.
That's why I use them.

Yesterday I tried something interesting...
It wasn't pasta... well... is Gnocchi considered pasta? I feel like it might, and it might not.

Anyways
I had it once about 3 months ago with a tomato and meat sauce... I didn't like the sauce all that much, so I tried something of my own at home.

I put butter, parsley, parmesan, and mozzerella on it.
It was great!
But I had to share it, so it didn't last long.
Morning, Gobo ...

You're a man who knows his own likes and dislikes, I see. That's a good thing!

Gnocchi isn't technicially considered pasta I don't think (the experts on this site can confirm one way or another), but it certainly can be eaten in a similar fashion. Glad you enjoyed it anyways!

Pure comfort food with butter & parmesan. Yum!
Old 09-18-2006, 10:41 AM   #59
Head Chef

I thought gnocchi was considered pasta, but would not stand to defend the point! any dough creation in Italy is pasta....you want a crossaint you ask for a pasta! And Although gnocchi has aits own name its a dough...but as I say, I don't know and I don't mind!

Gnocchi don't particularly do it for me...I have them occasionally. But I am glad you found something you like Gobo. Like "pasta" (lol) they are very versatile, and if you find sauce you like with gnocchi the same ones will work pastas too.

When you first joined you asked a question about shapes of pasta. Perhaps that is part of the issue here. Some of the smaller, thicker pastas have a more resistant texture and are easier to keep al dente, it might be worth trying some expensive handmade pastas with different textures to experiment. Or indeed making your own pasta.

My feeling is that if you like gnocchi with sauce, and gnocchi are also fairly "bland" and led by their dressing/sauces then you should not write pasta off but rather experiment. Perhaps enhancing the visual aspect by using some squid ink pasta or tomato or spinich pasta so that the plate LOOKs more interesing would be a good option for you too.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:47 PM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
gobo - maybe you could choose some toppings you would like and your mom could buy them. I understand your predicament of "cook what we have" but at some point a grocery store run is inevitable - so pick some stuff you would like to cook and make up a grocery list for your mom. It doesn't have to be a long list - just a few things for a new pasta dish that you would like to try.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None