Any Pasta toppings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goboenomo

Head Chef
My mom likes to make spaghetti evey now and then... but I dont like it unless I cover it with garlic butter, or alfredo sauce.
I hate tomato sauce, and the peppers and onions, and mushrooms in it aswell.
Any other things I can put with my pasta so I don't get sick of the two I do eat?

Oh my lord gobo. You can put anything you like on pasta. Just last night I made a garlic cream sauce and sauteed some scallops that we put on top of linguine.

Try a clam sauce.

Try bernaise sauce.

Add any meat you like, and veggies too.

Gobo, it all depends upon what you are interested in eating. I often take just about any vegetable (or combo thereof) in the house and saute them in a little olive ol with garlic, add a touch of white wine or vermouth, cook that down, and dress the hot pasta with the mixture. Add a few grates of Parmigiano or Pecorino, and I have a great meal that I'm not ashamed to serve to friends... just depends uponwhat you like.

Ive never had clam or bernaise sauce....
I have put chicken on it.

Most of the things I like are meals themself.... or candy. :D

Veggies I like are spinach, brussel sprouts, carrots, and some others...
stuff I wouldn't like on my pasta

Gobo, I make a great pasta sauce with brussels sprouts! I use butter along with a dab of olive oil, and I pull the sprouts apart, so the leaves all get coated. I add slivered garlic, and watch to make sure it doesn't burn. This is SO good with pasta like pappardelle, strozzapreti, or penne rigate... and I top it with toasted bread crumbs. It is really good. :D

Do you like fresh tomatoes? If so, here's a recipe for Pasta alla Caprese:

4 large ripe tomatoes, cored and seeded, cut into ½-inch dice
½ cup fresh basil leaves, slivered
¼ cup fresh mint leaves, coarsely chopped
3 scallions, thinly sliced
7 ounces ripe brie (rind removed) or mozzarella, cut in small cubes
3 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
1/3 cup olive oil
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
salt, to taste​

Mix it together, let it sit for 20 or 30 minutes, then toss it with cooked pasta.​

ChefJune said:
Gobo, I make a great pasta sauce with brussels sprouts! I use butter along with a dab of olive oil, and I pull the sprouts apart, so the leaves all get coated. I add slivered garlic, and watch to make sure it doesn't burn. This is SO good with pasta like pappardelle, strozzapreti, or penne rigate... and I top it with toasted bread crumbs. It is really good. :D

That actually sounds pretty sweet!

I hate everything with tomatos except ketchup

Oooooooooooooooo!! Gobo, you would LOVE carbonara. There is a killer recipe on here for it. Searching...

I don't think you have Trader Joe's stores in Canada, but any store that sells lots of jarred ethnic-type tapenades & dips - those all make wonderful pasta toppings.

I've used jarred/canned eggplant caponata, different vegetable pestos, tapenades, jarred crostini toppings, etc., etc. They all work for quick pasta toppings. Just drain your hot pasta, toss it back in it's pot with some extra-virgin olive oil, add your jarred topping, toss again to mix, & serve.

btw Gobo, cabbage sliced up or sprouts sliced up and sauteed in olive oil or butter with garlic and bacon or ham, moisten with a bit of the salted pasta water...is great on pasta. add cheese if you like. oil garlic and chese is tasty, Mushrooms? (fresh only) slice saute in garlic and oil...really fine. Spinach is also greatsauteed with garlic over pasta, with or without cheese. So invent and enjoy.

Sorry Gobo - like I said, I didn't think you had them in Canada. Trader Joe's is like a discount gourmet food store here in the U.S.

Since you say you don't like veggies in your pasta :)(), you can also add cooked shrimp, ground beef or turkey/chicken, etc., along with your sauce of choice. Cooked shrimp can be purchased bagged & frozen & all you need do is heat/thaw them in a pan with a little oil, then toss with your sauce pasta.

Here's one:

Take some sliced chicken breasts and for the day marinate them in chicken broth and fresh tarragon. Remove chicken and boil broth with some fresh tarragon and reduce some (about 15 minutes). Make a slurry to thicken just a bit and be sure to cook for 3 more minutes to minimize the flour/slurry flavor. After this add a bit of cream to thicken even more and some salt and white pepper. Toss with some linguini and sauteed chicken (oh yea, brown the chicken then finish cooking in the broth).

sauteed mushrooms are really good in this but..........:chef:

Hey Gobo --

Two of my very, very favorites are tons of sweet, sauteed onions and one with parmesan and lemon juice and zest (credit going to the Hazans, mother and son).

However, do I continue ... or do you hate onions and lemon?!

You don't like veg in your pasta? Or mixed veg? Because it sounds like you are going to try the brussel sprout pasta?

If its mixed veg you are avoiding then try having the pasta with some broccoli...you can still add your garlic and butter. The broccoli, we steam ours, is nice and sweet and al dente with the pasta. We have it with loads of parmesan and black pepper, and/or, if we have it, chopped fresh mozzerela, whichs slips into the pasta and just melts a bit, its lovely. And easy for your mother to do.....but don't you fancy giving her a night off and trying some of these your self?

Carbonara couldn't be easier....my husband makes a great basic one, just eggs, cream, pancetta, parmesanor grana and its great comfort food.

Back
Top Bottom