Anyone know beans about beans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When you soak the beans, try adding a bit of baking soda in the water, that helps the softening process in many cases like this...

Interesting topic. I grew up eating beans like you Yakuta.I try to cook beans for my family, but my kids and DH have'nt caught up on it too well, but I will keep trying. I just soaked some tonight to make the old favorite 'Maharagwe' which is basically maize(corn) and red beans together, boil the beans first then add the maize and when tender, fry onions in a pan and then quickly fry the mixture and serve.:chef:

How about onions? I don't think they're considered "acidic", right? I usually add those and garlic when I put them on to cook in the crockpot. It does take several hours...I have hard water though, so I just allow for plenty of time.

Most food scientists say that salt is ok, that it doesn't inhibit softening and is needed in the cooking water to properly season the beans.

My experience backs this up 100%.

But they also point to acid ingredients, hard water and old beans as the primary reasons why beans fail to soften when cooked.

I have had trouble with recipes that call for a significant amounts of acid (tomato, wine, vinegar) added up-front to the cooking liquid.

Back
Top Bottom