"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Old 01-10-2006, 11:53 AM   #21
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
When you soak the beans, try adding a bit of baking soda in the water, that helps the softening process in many cases like this...

urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 01:26 PM   #22
Sous Chef
Interesting topic. I grew up eating beans like you Yakuta.I try to cook beans for my family, but my kids and DH have'nt caught up on it too well, but I will keep trying. I just soaked some tonight to make the old favorite 'Maharagwe' which is basically maize(corn) and red beans together, boil the beans first then add the maize and when tender, fry onions in a pan and then quickly fry the mixture and serve.

There is no love sincerer than the love of food. ~George Bernard Shaw
Jikoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:16 PM   #23
Assistant Cook
How about onions? I don't think they're considered "acidic", right? I usually add those and garlic when I put them on to cook in the crockpot. It does take several hours...I have hard water though, so I just allow for plenty of time.
"I do not know myself and God forbid that I should."
--Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
afreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:27 AM   #24
Master Chef
Most food scientists say that salt is ok, that it doesn't inhibit softening and is needed in the cooking water to properly season the beans.

My experience backs this up 100%.

But they also point to acid ingredients, hard water and old beans as the primary reasons why beans fail to soften when cooked.

I have had trouble with recipes that call for a significant amounts of acid (tomato, wine, vinegar) added up-front to the cooking liquid.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:46 PM   #25
Assistant Cook
Awesome thread. Thanks very much. We have had this problem every time we've tried dried beans. We had pretty much given up. Time to give is a chance again! Many thanks.

John & Teri Delaney
John Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote