"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 01-16-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Anyone make their own Refried Beans?

I made refried beans a couple weeks ago. The were decent, but a bit bland. I seasoned them with onions & garlic, a jalapeno and some cumin, cilantro and lime juice. This time, I'm thinking of adding a Corona to the cooking liquid and, maybe add some more cumin and garlic.

I'm just wondering if anyone else makes their own and, if so, what works well for you? Thanks =)

Old 01-16-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
Senior Cook

You forgot the salt. Salt salt and more salt. I've never made my own, but I've watched the M.I.L make hers, and what I see is salt. ;)

Old 01-16-2009, 04:20 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer75 View Post
You forgot the salt. Salt salt and more salt. I've never made my own, but I've watched the M.I.L make hers, and what I see is salt. ;)
Oops, my bad. I do add salt too.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:25 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I make our refried beans. I cook my pinto beans with onions, garlic, bay leaf, and serrano chiles. Cover them with water and cook until the beans begin to wrinkle, then I add some bacon grease and cook until the beans are soft and stir in salt to my liking and the beans are barely moist. Then I heat some more bacon grease in a skillet and saute some onions and garlic until tender. Once the onion and garlic are done, I add one large tomato, seeded, and chopped.

To incorporate the the onion-garlic-tomato mixture to the beans, I scoop a spoonful of the beans into the mixture and mash everything to a paste. Then I add that back to the beans and stir until well mixed.

To make refried beans, I melt a quantity of bacon grease in a skillet and put in the cooked bean mixture and cook and mash until creamy, adding more bacon grease as necessary.

If you don't have bacon grease, lard can be substituted.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:28 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Incidentally, coconut oil makes a great substitute for lard. I made tamales with it recently and they turned out well ... especially for my first time.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:04 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
I make our refried beans. I cook my pinto beans with onions, garlic, bay leaf, and serrano chiles. Cover them with water and cook until the beans begin to wrinkle, then I add some bacon grease and cook until the beans are soft and stir in salt to my liking and the beans are barely moist. Then I heat some more bacon grease in a skillet and saute some onions and garlic until tender. Once the onion and garlic are done, I add one large tomato, seeded, and chopped.

To incorporate the the onion-garlic-tomato mixture to the beans, I scoop a spoonful of the beans into the mixture and mash everything to a paste. Then I add that back to the beans and stir until well mixed.

To make refried beans, I melt a quantity of bacon grease in a skillet and put in the cooked bean mixture and cook and mash until creamy, adding more bacon grease as necessary.

i tried to make some the other day to go w/ my nachos
but they taste good

ill have to try this recipie
Old 01-23-2009, 03:30 PM   #7
Sous Chef

I was watching Viva Daisy a new Latin cooking show on food network and last week she made these that looked great and were on the healthy side.

New Style Refried Beans (Frijoles Refritos Estilo Nuevo) Recipe : Daisy Martinez : Food Network

I have not made these but will in the future.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:05 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post

Did you work at the same Mexican restaurant I did?
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:07 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Nope. Never worked in a restaurant.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:35 PM   #10
Sous Chef

OK, I made them the same way: beans, onions, garlic, cilantro, jalapeno, lime and cumin. This time I added a beer to the cooking water (and added a couple to the cook) and it made all the difference. The flavors accented the beans, but were still mild. A pound lasted two days. I think I'll make more this weekend.

Tags
refried beans