Asparagus risotto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ishbel

Executive Chef
Asparagus Risotto

It used to be that asparagus was a real treat in the UK, available only from about mid-May to the end of June and English asparagus was something we looked forward to - eating it quickly simmered for a short time and drizzled with butter, or cold with hollandaise or the spears seared on a griddle and drizzled with a little olive oil. Nowadays, asparagus is available all year round, and you can follow its ‘season’ around the globe…. I’ve eaten asparagus raised in Mexico, California, Peru, Kenya, Spain etc! This following recipe is what I use when the local stuff is not around

500g asparagus
1 litre chicken stock
3 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely diced
30g butter
300g risotto rice ( I use Carnaroli, but don’t know if that brand is available outside Europe)
25g freshly grated Parmesan (or more if you like a really 'strong' cheese bite to the risotto)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Wash and prepare the asparagus stems. I just snap off the ends and (only if necessary) pare off any tough skin from the lower part of the stems.

Cut each stem in half across the middle of the stem. Roughly slice the lower halves.

Divide the stock between 2 pans and bring both to the boil. Add the sliced asparagus stalks to one, return to the boil, then cover and simmer for anything up to 10 minutes or until tender.

Meanwhile, pour the oil into a wide saute pan and set over a low heat. Gently fry the diced onion until soft. Cut off the tips of the remaining raw asparagus and slice the stems into pea-sized rounds. Add both rounds and tips to the sautéed onion with the butter and cook for 2 minutes before stirring in the rice, making sure it is well coated in the fat. Fry for 2 more minutes, then stir in 2-3 ladles of the plain simmering stock. Keep stirring regularly, adding more stock as the rice absorbs the liquid.

Meanwhile, purée the chopped asparagus stems with the stock they've been simmering in. Strain back into the pan. When you have finished the plain stock, slowly add the asparagus purée stock to the rice. After about 20 minutes, all the stock will be absorbed and the rice should be cooked, with a slight bite. Stir in the Parmesan, season and serve. Add some extra lightly cooked asparagus if you like.

I've never tried it with peas - but it sounds good. What do you do, keep the peas whole or puree them?

I puree the peas and reserve some whole ones as well so that the risotto has different textures. I also puree a little basil with the peas; it helps with the color and it adds some flavor. Just don't go overboard on the basil because of its strong flavor. For this risotto, I don't add any butter or cream, but when the risotto is nearly finished, I fold in some goat cheese instead--no parmesan though because of the conflicting flavors. After portioning the risotto out, I then drizzle it with a high quality extra virgin olive oil

Back
Top Bottom