Baked beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would NOT leave the baked beans out. (not sure why one would think it would be O.K.)
They will thicken towards the end of cooking. If not thick enough for you, take some out, puree, and put back into the rest.

awesome thanks. I guess I wasn't sure. I have been surprised to hear people state that I could leave something out for the night if serving the next day - thinking the answer was going to be an absolute no. So I wasn't quite sure. It doesn't seem to have things like milk, eggs, cream etc. but totally understand that it has to be refrigerated. I mean I usually refrigerate most things.

things other than dairy can go bad, providing an environment for bacteria to grow.

• 20 oz can of baked beans
  • 2 cans of Apple pie filling
  • 1/4 -1/2 cup apple juice
  • 1 tbls any type of mustard
  • 2-4 tbls bbq sauce
  • 2 tbls favorite bbq rub
  • 1 pack of lil smokies
  • 3-4 slices chopped cooked bacon
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1 green pepper or 1 jalopeno
  • Salt
  • pepper
Mix the above in a aluminum drip pan and use it as the drip pan for the pork butt. Once the butt has finished cooking, cook beans an extra 10 min to ensure that the fat is cooked..i did this last week and the flavor of the pork butt and hickory smoke made these beans so tasty.

things other than dairy can go bad, providing an environment for bacteria to grow.

The boiled dinner I"m making right now with the picnic pork shoulder, carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and cabbage. It wont be done until close to 11pm. It will take a few hours at least!! to cool down enough to put it in the refrigerator and I'll have to go to the bed at that point. I'm thinking this is ok to leave out over night. the baked beans should be done in an hour hopefully - or I should say I'm going to give up in an hour and hopefully let it cool for an hour and than place in refrigerator.

I disagree. The weather is hot. I would refrigerate the meat and veggies overnight. Do not refrigerate them in the liquid.

I was hoping to actually get the stew made tonight. immerse the broth with potatoes - mix with the rest of the veggies etc. so that tomorrow all i have to do is put them into containors for the freezer. I suppose I could save a step tonight since it will be getting late and let it cool down a little and throw veggies/potoes in refrigerator "separate" from broth and do the rest tomorrow.

put them in shallow bowls, put sealed bags of ice in the stuff, it will help cool it down quicker.
and YES, refrigerate.

Back
Top Bottom