Baked beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
Hopefully having pulled pork sandwiches for fathers day. thinking maybe baked beans and corn on the cob to go with it. Maybe cole-slow not sure.

Any good baked beans recipes out there? I'll poke around on google too. If you have any tnt recipes that would be great.

I'll put it on my blog if it's a winner. ; )

: )

M

BBQ sauce and brown sugar. Or Ketchup,Mustard, and Brown sugar. And of course the beans. This is my favorite way to make baked beans. My moms recipe.

I like to make the beans from scratch, with ham hock or bacon, onion, catsup, molasses, mustard...
I like a sweet bean, some like it more like a chili bean.

Amish Baked Beans

1 lb dry navy beans
1/2 lb bacon ends
1 med onion, quartered
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup molasses
2 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 Tbs vinegar
2 cup hot water

1. Soak beans overnight in 6 cups water; add 1/4 teaspoon baking soda if water is hard.

2. Parboil beans for 20 minutes. Drain beans after parboiling; rinse with cold water.

3. Dice bacon ends to 1 inch square, placing half in the bottom of a 2 quart bean pot or casserole along with the quartered onion.

4. Add beans. Mix remaining ingredients with hot water. Pour over top of beans. Top with remaining bacon ends.

5. Cover and bake in a slow (300 degree) oven for about 6 hours adding hot water as needed to keep beans moist.

Servings: 8

I post this one awhile ago

This is our family all time favoriteand a must at all gatherings. Makes alot. I make up a batch and then put into small containers and freeze when we aren't having a large gathering. It freezes well - Oh and I don't baked first when Im going to freeze it.
It doesn't last long and everyone wants the recipe.

Bean Bake
1 lb. ground beef
1 lb bacon cut up into pieces
1 large onion diced
1/2 cup Ketchup
1/2 cup or you favorite bottled Barbque sauce
1 tsp salt
4 Tbl yellow mustard
4 Tbl Molasses
1 tsp chili powder
3/4 tsp black pepper
2 - 16 oz can Red Kidney Beans drained
2 - 16 oz can pork & Beans
2 - 16 oz can Butter Beans Drained
Brown beef, bacon and onion
Drain excess fat
Combine all the rest of the Ingredients except the beans
Stir well
Add Beans
Bake 1 Hr at 350

Amish Baked Beans
2. Parboil beans for 20 minutes. Drain beans after parboiling; rinse with cold water.

Do you bring the water to a full boil before putting the beans in. I guess I'm trying to understand exactly what parboiling means. I saw a definition that said: partially cooked in boiling water. but just want to make sure I get the water to a full boil before droppin the beans in.

It means the beans are not fully cooked after the 20 minutes... yes you can boil it, or simmer.

If you've never cooked beans from dry beans before, there are a number of already cooked, unflavored beans on the market. Simply drain them and add other ingredients. The secret to baked beans is slow and low cooking temperatures.

Here are two similar recipes that will make you outstanding beans, without the risk of undercooked beans.

Boston Baked Beans
Boston is famous for its baked beans. In colonial times, Boston had a ready supply of molasses, which is the primary flavor in this recipe. But we don't want to make it too strong:).

Ingredients:
2 quarts cooked great white or navy beans, drained
1/2 lb. bacon or diced ham hock
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tbs. dark molasses
1 tbs. yellow mustard
3 tbs. tomato paste

Preheat oven to 325' F.
Combine all ingredients in a heavy, lidded pot such as an enameled dutch oven. Insert into the oven. Bake for 3 hours, stirring every half-hour to combine the flavors and prevent the beans from sticking. Serve hot.

Goodweed's Baked Beans

Ingredients:
2 quarts cooked great white or navy beans, drained
1/2 lb. bacon or diced, smoked ham hock
1 medium onion, chopped
3 tbs. brown sugar
1 cup grade-b maple syrup
1/2 tsp. Mesquite Liquid Smoke
2 tbs. chili powder

Preheat oven to 325' F.
Combine all ingredients in a heavy, lidded pot such as an enameled dutch oven. Insert into the oven. Bake for 3 hours, stirring every half-hour to combine the flavors and prevent the beans from sticking. Serve hot.

There are hundreds of recipes for baked beans. The two I have presented are sweet. Others will no doubt give your recipes for ranch-style beans, or barbecue beans. They will be delicious, judging from the quality of DC folks. In my opinion though, with pulled pork already giving the guests a great and savory sandwich, I'd go with the sweet type of beans to act as a counterpoint against the tangy slaw and flavor of the pork. Now all you need is some ice-cold root beer and a great chilled bowl of diced fruit to cleanse the palate.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

The Greek way

Here in Greece we eat baked beans a lot - always made from scratch! This is a very easy recipe, from my website:

You´ll need:
250 gram/8.5 oz giant beans
One big onion
One or two carrots (optional)
Three-four table spoons of tomato paste
Olive oil
One table spoon flour
Salt, pepper, dried oreganoSoak the beans over night and throw away the water. Boil until soft - depending on the beans that can take one or several hours. In a separate pot, saute the roughly chopped onion in olive oil, add the sliced carrots and a spoon of tomato paste, plus a little bit of water. Stir and let boil until the water has evaporated.
Add the beans to an oven proof dish. Add the onion/carrots and the rest of the tomato paste and mix well. Add salt, pepper, oregano and a good dash of olive oil and mix well. Sprinkle with the flour. Bake in the oven for approximately half and hour on 200 C/400 F.

I accidently parboiled too many beans than what I need. What do I do with all the left over "parboiled beans". I soaked them all last night and most of today. I have too much work to do to be worrying about these extra par boiled beans. Can I do something with them for storage purposes?

Do you have a spare slow cooker? If so, just cook the extra up in that with some celery/carrot/onion, a bay leaf, and a hamhock. You can forget about it until done, then freeze in manageable portions.

Thanks there in the oven now. They'll be done tonight. SHould I put them in the refrigerate and than take out and reheat tomorrow before company comes?

ummmm, yes... what else would you do?

it doesn't seem like a lot of ingredients that absolutely needs refrigeration. I'm sure there are some things you can just leave on the counter/stove top over night - if serving the next day.

Also, I've been cooking my baked beans for a little while. The water seemed to eventually evaporate and I covered the beans again to keep them moist.

How does it actually get thick? It seems like it's either covered in hot water/chix broth or it's all evaporated.

I would NOT leave the baked beans out. (not sure why one would think it would be O.K.)
They will thicken towards the end of cooking. If not thick enough for you, take some out, puree, and put back into the rest.

Back
Top Bottom