"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 04-22-2014, 08:10 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Baked beans

Folks, I know there are a lot of baked beans recipe's out there, but I am looking for a killer recipe, any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:15 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

From an old post here.

Here's a recipe I cut out of a Field & Stream in 1983. No credit was given to anyone, so I hope it's OK to post it. This made the most awesome beans I ever ate, but I never got the knack of cooking it underground with coals like the recipe called for, which is I why I changed it to say cook until done. I always had to finish them off by the campfire or cook them in an oven if I was making them at home. They were always a big hit when I took them over to the folks on Christmas. Or maybe just the fact that they were served out of a big, black, cast iron DO was

But to be honest with you. I just use Bush's now I just had some for lunch with extra bacon, hot dogs, onions and barbeque sauce added

Hope I can transfer this out of Word OK....

Bean Hole Beans

2 lbs (4 cups) navy beans
3 1/2 qts water (more or less)
2 onions
6 whole cloves
lb salt pork
2 lbs cooked ham chunks or hot dogs (optional)
1 tsp salt
cup brown sugar
cup dark molasses
1 tsp dry mustard
1 cup chili sauce
Dash of Tabasco

Soak beans overnight in enough cold water to cover by 2 inches

The following day drain the beans and put in a pot. Add about 3 qts of water, cover, bring to boil, then simmer for 1 hour

Stick the cloves in the onions and put in the bottom of the Dutch oven

Pour the beans and cooking liquid into the Dutch oven

Cut a couple deep slashes in the salt pork and poke it into the beans

(If you wish add your ham or hot dogs)

Mix the remaining ingredients with cup of boiling water and pour over the beans

If necessary add more boiling water to cover beans

Cover and cook until done

Serves 12-14

Old 04-22-2014, 08:43 AM   #3
Master Chef

I grew up with this very simple baked bean recipe and for my money simple is better when it comes to baked beans.

1 pound small white beans
1/2 cup white granulated sugar
1/4 pound salt pork or bacon
3/4 t salt
1/8 t ground black pepper
1/4 t baking soda

Soak beans overnight in water to cover. Bring to a boil in soaking water with baking soda added and cook for 10 minutes. Drain. Cover with fresh water and return to stove, cook covered until mushy (the cooking time varies a great deal, test by crushing a couple of beans against the side of the pan, if you think they are ready then give them another 1/2 hour!). Add additional water only if needed. When the beans are cooked add other ingredients and spoon into a baking dish. Bake uncovered in a 325F oven for 2-3 hours until most of the liquid is absorbed.

In CNY when time is short we cheat and pick up a can or two of these!
Old 04-22-2014, 09:00 AM   #4
Master Chef

As I was typing the above recipe I got the feeling I had posted it before!

Deja vu all over again!

Try the pantry chili sauce recipe to go with the baked beans!

ISO "memorable" baked beans recipe
Old 04-22-2014, 11:50 AM   #5
Master Chef

Alton Brown's recipe is terrific

The Once and Future Beans Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network
Old 04-22-2014, 02:08 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I kick up canned baked beans. In fact, I have never made baked beans from scratch. I may try now. The recipes sound good and I should try making my own.

In a medium, heavy duty sauce pan, I fry up some chopped bacon and when almost crispy I add some chopped onion and bell pepper. Maybe a dash of chili flakes.
Once the veggies are soft, I add the canned beans and a few TBLS's of my home made BBQ sauce.
I then just heat through well. (just to a simmer) They don't need any more cooking. Allow them to cool on the stove. Thats is for me.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:03 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I've always enjoyed baked beans and so did Buck. Glenn is no different. Both of them and everyone else who has tried the beans I make LOVE them.

Surprisingly, they are not "from scratch" and are more of a glorified canned version, but could fool even the most discerning baked bean critic.

The recipe came out of a January 1999 issue of Southern Living magazine and is called Baked Beans Quintet. One recipe makes lots and they freeze perfectly.

You might try them and see if you like them as much as we do.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:22 PM   #8
Head Chef

The above bean recipes are good. Molasses, Mustard, and Pork are a must in my book.
I use broth rather then water and I've found a hint of cinnamon and allspice helps.
Beans are kind of like Chili. You get 100 cooks and you get 100 recipes. They're all good. Tweek a basic until it meets your taste.

RB. Go ahead and cook them from scratch. Getting the beans cooked is the easy part. It's refining the seasoning to what you want that takes the effort. I've kicked up canned beans but scratch beans have been so much better. And I've yet to find what I'm really looking for after years of searching. But I know that one day I will. Experimentation is the fun part.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:47 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I always enjoyed making Boston Baked Beans every Saturday night for the kids. Today, if you ask Spike if he likes beans, he will tell you "only if my mother is baking them." Even today, my daughter remembers them fondly. I had a six quart bean pot with two handles and a big metal bowl to soak them in the night before. And then I would drain them and boil them until the skins would split when you blew on them. That is when I knew they were ready to go into the bean pot with all the fixings. I still say it was that old fashion bean pot that made them taste so good.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:13 AM   #10
Executive Chef

My mother made wonderful "from scratch" baked beans. I might have the recipe in her box of recipes I have, or it might have just been in her head. I remember one time we went to a big church corn roast out on a farm. Several people brought baked beans, but at the end of the night, those people were taking home the leftovers while my mother's bowl was empty. Practically licked clean! She was so proud! I have never made scratch baked beans because it makes so much and there's just the two of us. For home I used Bush's Boston Style baked beans. Not every store carries that one, so when I see them I grab several cans.

Tags
beans