Baked beans but no white beans available?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have always made baked beans with white beans but am having trouble finding them. The thought of using another kind seems almost sacrilegious! Are there other beans that will still endure the crockpot and turn out favorable with brown sugar and molasses?

If you don't have white beans then use butter beans. Its a good alternative.

Yesterday, Spike opened a can of B&M Baked New England style beans. I had to laugh when he told me, "the sauce was as black as could be." Sounds like he got all the molasses in the bottom of the pot. He loved it. Not too sweet, but the molasses taste came through. He told me that he was going to be doctoring his canned beans from now on with extra molasses.

I once had the privilege to see the inside of the plant at the B&M factory. They had these huge bean pots sitting on a huge metal plate and underneath was the gas lit stove that heated up the bean pots. When the beans had been cooked long enough all the pots were picked up by a huge crane and emptied into a huge machine that filled the cans. Then as the cans traveled along being filled, a piece of pork would drop in before the can is sealed. Quite an impressive site. And it smelt so good.

So who cares if you like them or not?

This site is about foods people enjoy. Go find a food you like and tell readers about it.

Dump the judgemental stuff.

Yeh, I'll weigh in here. I love most kinds of food, baked beans included. I've had backed beans Boston style, which I adore, the more sweet kind where the primary flavors are onion and brown sugar, with a bit of mustard to balance the flavor, ranch-style baked beans, with mor barbeque sauce flavor, baked beans with ham, with smoked ham hocks, with pulled pork, with bacon, with side porrd, with shredded beef, with a hint of chili powder, and the list goes on. I love baked beans, pork and (VanCamps), B&M, some of the Bushes varieties, and especially home made, slow cooked on the Weber, with a bit of smoke.

You might wonder why I'm going on about beans. Well, I could go on about my love of winter squashes, or rutabagas, or spinach, or so many other wonderful foods that I can no long enjoy, due to kidney failure. Don't get caught up worrying about what you don't enjoy, and telling everyone about it. Rather, be thankful for the availability of foods you do love, and share your enjoyment, and recipes and techniques for making extraordinary foods. That is what initially drew me to this site, the camaraderie and sharing of a common love of good things.

Oh how I wish I could enjoy legumes again, beans of all kinds, dried and split peas, , black eyed peas, Lentils, etc. I can't have pumpkin pie anyomore. So, instead of moaning and complaining, I learned how to make carrot pie, which is nearly indistinguishable for pumpkin pie. I may not be able to eat the baked beans at a bbq, but I sure enjoy the super jucky cole slaw that I make, and the ice-cold watermelon.

Life throws challenges at us, sometimes faster than we think we can handle, and sometimes heavier than we think we can bear. It is then we need to remember what we do have, and not what we don't. So all of you who love bens, of all shapes and colors, and flavors, go make and enjoy them. And if you have a great recipe, share it. All of you who would have something else, go make that something else, and enjoy it For those who love playing the tuba, go play the tuba. If you love kite fishing, go fly a kite. Just do what you love, so long as it makes the world a little better place.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thank you Chief. That was told in such a lovely tone.

Last week a little six year old grandchild of a resident of the building, asked me where was I hiding my leg. At that age she certainly is not going to understand surgery or amputation. So I made up a story about a Princess who was born without a leg. And I let her borrow mine because she had a very important dance to go to. A lovely Prince was waiting for her because he wanted to ask her to marry him. Her mother thanked me profusely. But it was all my pleasure to allow a little six year old to stay in her world of fantasy for a few more years. Sort of letting her continue to believe in Santa, the Easter Bunny, etc.

I am sure some day I will see that little girl again when she is here visiting her grandmother. By then I should have my new leg and being able to use it. Imagine what she will think when she sees it. She will probably ask me if the Princess has her own leg now. And I will tell her, "Of Course. And she danced at her wedding with her Prince."

BTW, I took that little girl on my lap and while I was telling her the story, I took her for a ride on my wheelchair. Granted, it was only up and down the very long hall, but she had a day that she will always remember. I can only hope she will pass on the lesson that children will ask questions regarding problems other folks face in life, and teach her children to ask the right questions. And I hope they will get the same story. Even if the mother has to tell it to them herself.

Losing my leg gave me the opportunity to make a little girl very happy and now has a story of her very own she can pass on to her own children some day.

I know. I am just a sucker for kids. But I just can't help myself sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom