"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2019, 06:58 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I wonder how many people actually like traditional baked beans. I'm one who does not.
Not that anyone cares, but that icky sticky sweetness just isn't my idea of good eating. I barely tolerate beans in general, so there's that.
I love them Mine aren't extremely sweet, though. I cook bacon, then sauté onions and garlic in the bacon fat. Then add a couple cans of pork & beans, molasses, yellow mustard, the crumbled bacon and a bit of Worcestershire sauce and bake till bubbly. Sweet, savory, smoky, yummy

Old 04-16-2019, 07:57 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Kayelle, While I would eat them when served elsewhere, I haven't once cooked them myself - far too many other beans and legume dishes I prefer to make, and most are much faster and easier.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:13 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
I wonder how many people actually like traditional baked beans. I'm one who does not.
Not that anyone cares, but that icky sticky sweetness just isn't my idea of good eating. I barely tolerate beans in general, so there's that.
Same here. Well, I do like fresh or frozen green beans. I did enjoy some pork and beans a friend made. They were barely sweet and she made them with fresh beans out of her garden.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:43 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
They are a staple in New England. When someone says they are too sweet, it is mainly because the cook added too much sugar. The molasses is what give them their color. Two to three tablespoons of molasses is more than enough for the coloring. Served with Brown Bread and you leave the table feeling very full.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:38 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
They are a staple in New England. When someone says they are too sweet, it is mainly because the cook added too much sugar. The molasses is what give them their color. Two to three tablespoons of molasses is more than enough for the coloring. Served with Brown Bread and you leave the table feeling very full.

Addie, most people know they are a staple in New England. So what? I don't like baked beans any more than you like my taste in Mexican food and it's a staple in the Southwest.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:16 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Addie, most people know they are a staple in New England. So what? I don't like baked beans any more than you like my taste in Mexican food and it's a staple in the Southwest.
I am well aware of what the rest of this nation knows regarding New England food and specialties. But not all our members live in the United States. It never hurts to pass along a little knowledge to those that don't know.

Not every post in this forum is meant for only the citizens of this country to read.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:28 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

Yes...should add just enough brown sugar to counter the tartness of the worchestershire sauce and yellow mustard. Too much and you lose the balance.
pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:22 PM   #18
Executive Chef

I always assumed they were Navy beans?
I must admit I cheat. I buy canned "Bushes" baked beans and kick them up with some onions and bell peppers. A bit of my homemade BBQ sauce and they are pretty good.

Baked beans really are a necessity IMO when having a BBQ. Like this weekend weather permitting. Something very good about baked beans next to homemade potato salad.
Some deviled eggs and BAM!

Oh.....Plenty cold cheap beer to round it off.
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:05 AM   #19
Master Chef

There are many recipes for baked beans, some from scratch and others using canned. My choice is for canned beans and my recipe is almost the same as GG's, but I usually slip some pulled pork in and let them cook in the smoker.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:47 AM   #20
Senior Cook

I would eat baked beans every night if my family were willing to deal with the side effects :)

pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baked beans, beans, white beans