"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2018, 09:08 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Baked beans but no white beans available?

I have always made baked beans with white beans but am having trouble finding them. The thought of using another kind seems almost sacrilegious! Are there other beans that will still endure the crockpot and turn out favorable with brown sugar and molasses?

pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:59 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Try pinto beans.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:46 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I would have thought that any pale beans would do. Black beans may give your dish a rather sinister colour but there are various varieties of white beans - cannellini, haricot, great northern beans to name but three. And as GG says, pinto beans would be fine.

There may be a shortage at the moment because last year's batch is running down and this year's crop is probably still in the processing stage. I keep a few cans of cannellini beans in the cupboard as they bulk out a stew if unexpected guests arrive on the doorstep expecting to be fed just before you are about to dish up.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:07 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

There's a lot more interest using a mixed variety of beans. Have fun and go wild Pen!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:48 PM   #5
Master Chef

These beans varieties all have the right flavor and texture for great baked beans/

Black beans
Red beans (not kidney beans)
Pinto Beans
Great Northern
Navy, or pea beans
Black eyed peas

And like Kayelle said, mix them up to make the bean dish more interesting. Here, just in case anyone wants it, is my best baked bean recipe.

2 cups dried beans of choice
4 cups water
2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 large yellow onion
1 tbs. tomato paste
2 tbs. blackstrap molasses
1 tbs. prepared yellow mustard
1 lb. diced ham, ham hock, ground beef, pork sausage links, or polish sausage
1 tbs. black pepper

Sort and rinse beans. place in large sauce pan or dutch oven with the water and salt. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat, cover, and let sit for 30 minutes.

Before I continue, I have to set straight a bit of bean wisdom. Adding salt to the cooking water will not keep the beans from cooking through. It will keep them from becoming mushy and will improve both the final texture and flavor.

Add 4 cups more water to the pot and bring the beans to a boil. Add 2 tsp. more salt, cover, and simmer for an hour. Test the beans to see if they are done. If needed, simmer another 20 minutes and retest.

When the beans are done, transfer to a covered casserole dish, or slow cooker, add the brown sugar, meat, and other ingredients. Stir to mix all ingredients. As the mustard is acidic, it will stop the beans from becoming more tender, so make sure they are soft enough before adding the mustard.

Cook in a slow oven of 300 degrees F., or low heat in the slow cooker for 2 to 3 hours. This will allow all of the flavors to balance, and the onion to tenderize and release its flavor into the beans.

For a slightly different take, replace the brown sugar and molasses with maple syrup. Or (and this is my favorite, absolutely heavenly) add 2 tbs. chili powder to your baked beans. Your really need to make this using Kielbasas or polish sausage, at least once. You won't be disappointing.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:47 AM   #6
Master Chef

Dried lima beans aka butter beans would be good.

Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baked beans, beans, white beans