"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 11-14-2010, 06:50 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Baked beans gone wrong...

I made baked beans tonight and boy was I disappointed. I used great northern beans (canned), ketchup, bbq sauce, brown sugar, dry mustard and bacon. I baked them for about 45 mins at 350*. The beans hardened! How does that happen?? I mean, they were kinda chewy. What did I do wrong? Aside from that, they were far too runny for our liking... but I think I saw another thread on here that addresses that so I'll check that out. Thanks in advance for your wisdom

Old 11-14-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Were they chewy before you put them in?

I've never started baked beans from canned beans (in Maine that would probably be against the law, LOL)

If you ever have the time and patience try making baked beans from dry beans in the crock pot, let them simmer all day. The beans will start to break down a bit and make the sauce nice and thick.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
Master Chef

I always use canned beans for baked beans, so that's not your problem. They need to be covered when you bake them, and drain the juice off the canned beans. I think you'd do better using prepared mustard.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:08 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Maybe baking them uncovered was my problem then. Some of the beans were harder than others so maybe it was the ones toward the top that hardened. I have no problem with using dried beans so maybe I'll try that next time. I like the idea of using the crock pot for them... seems like it would definitely yield a thicker batch. Thank you both and anyone else with ideas please chime in :)
Old 11-14-2010, 08:47 PM   #5
Executive Chef

With any dried bean, I soak them in lots of plain water over night, or at least 10 hours before cooking on the stove or in the oven. They will double in volume. Only then will I pour off the soaking water, place the beans into my cooking vessel and add the other ingredients and seasonings.

In the cooking, I cook for the texture of the beans... nothing else. When the beans are soft to my liking, they're done, whether in a pot or a baking dish.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Shucks! With a title like that, I thought this thread was going to be about farting.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:15 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Shucks! With a title like that, I thought this thread was going to be about farting.
Sorry to disappoint you
Old 12-01-2010, 04:21 AM   #8
Senior Cook

I generally cook fresh beans or dried ones. In second case I put them into water the night before and boil them the morning after (they stay into water for a nightlong).
In this way They never chew or drie during cooking. Then when they're ready I add them into tomatoe sauce, add saussage like ham or panchetta at the end.
Sometimes I also cook panchetta separetely, to drain the fat and add it at the end.
Greetings from Italy, Simona
Old 12-01-2010, 10:37 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I make beans a lot: black eyed peas, pinto beans, split peas BUT:

I have NEVER been able to cook great northern beans. The last time they came with the commodities and I tried to cook them (again) I soaked them for 3 DAYS and still after cooking them all day they weren't completely done. I said never again would I waste my time like that. If I want great northern, I satisfy my urge with canned.

If I were to try to make baked beans, I'd try the baby limas. Great Northern beans are similar to butter beans in flavor and butter beans are limas. All size limas are easy cooking. I'd bet the baby ones would make a great baked beans. What do you think?

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:58 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Thin ice here, fry some cubed pancetta, then add fine chopped onions and garlic, cook for a few mins, then stir in hot paprika, english mustard, treacle, Worcester sauce, a tin of cherry toms, a tin of haricot beans, and some tom paste, boil till its the right consistency, about ten minutes.

This recipe was given to me by Joseph Pujol.

Okay flame away

Tags
None