Here is a couple of recipes that might be close to what your husband likes.
16 oz. (1 lb.) small red beans or red kidney beans
4 oz. canola oil
½ cup diced onions
½ cup diced celery
1 bay leaf
1 tbsp. cumin
½ tbsp. chili powder
2 tbsp. minced garlic
1 tbsp. oregano
1 tbsp. salt
½ tbsp. black pepper
6 oz. tomato sauce
1. Sort and wash beans in colander under cold running water. Place beans in a large bowl with 9 cups of cold water and place in a refrigerator overnight.
2. Drain beans and set aside.
3. In a medium or large pot, heat oil and combine onions, celery, garlic, and bay leaf. Stir for 1-2 minutes.
4. Add seven cups of water along with remaining ingredients bring to a boil and add red beans. Simmer for 1½ to 2 hours on low heat, until beans are tender. Salt to taste. if needed.
5. For flavor, add your favorite sausage 10 to 15 minutes before serving. This recipe is great with andouille or smoked sausages served over rice.
4 cups dried pinto beans
4 cups minced yellow onion
1/2 cup chile powder
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/2 bunch cilantro, stemmed and chopped
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups diced yellow onion
2 cups diced red bell pepper
2 cus diced green bell pepper
Wash the beans and sort through them to remove any foreign particles and broken beans. In a stockpot, cover the beans with cold water by 6 inches and soak the for 6 hours or overnight. Drain beans the beans and return them to the same pan. Cover with fresh water by 1 1/2 inches. Add minced onions, chile powder, salt, and cilantro and stir to blend. Bring beans to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat, cover and cook until beans are tender, about 2 1/2 hours. Occasionally, check and stir beans. If necessary, add water as needed. At the end of cooking time the liquid should be almost absorbed. Close to serving time, heat the olive oil in a large pan. When oil is very hot, add diced onion and peppers and cook them quickly, about 6 minutes, stirring and tossing until crisp, but tender. Stir this mixture into beans.
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)