"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 12-19-2009, 10:10 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

This is the recipe that I use. I don't usually have velveeta on hand so I substitute cheddar, the combination of cheddar and american is perfect in my book.

This recipe seems lie a soupy mess when poured into the pan, looks like waaayyyy too much sauce, but once it bakes, it is perfect.

This is a very creamy saucy macaroni and cheese, not the more solid custard type.

Mouse's Macaroni and Cheese - All Recipes

Old 12-19-2009, 11:33 PM   #22
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
I use a combination of cheeses including velveeta. Here's my recipe Baked Macaroni & Cheese

where's the *drool* smiley?!?!

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 02:41 AM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
YUMMY! Great link, thanks. Eggs? Ick.

I feel that way about eggs, mustard and onions. IMHO they do not belong in Mac-n-Cheese.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:02 AM   #24
Head Chef

Being a Connoisseur of American food and fine cheeses myself. I will add that Velveeta while legally is not considered cheese it is a great addition to Mac & Cheese.

In my travels around the various regions of this great country I have had some really great examples of baked Mac & Cheese. Here are my thoughts on what separated the good ones form the great ones. The only bad baked Mac & Cheese I have had was either burnt or bland.

Cheese / Sauce: These should act as the binder and add creaminess. This is the advantage of using Velveeta. You can use just Velveeta and milk. It makes a really good sauce, but it is not in the great category. It just does not have that great cheese flavor. Play around with combinations of cheese, Velveeta and your favorite sauce. The only thing to remember is some cheeses will break during melting. If you want to use one of those melt some Velveeta then melt you’re with it.

Butter or Milk? If you’re using good cheese why not use some real butter? In The Frugal Gourmet Cooks American Jeff Smith’s recipe for Macaroni Pie calls for 2 cups macaroni, and pound butter. To me with this ratio the dish is oily. But after cooking this dish butter is now a normal ingredient in my Mac & Cheese.

Cooking: I like for mine to have a small crust around the edges, soft but set in the middle and a slightly crunchy top. But it should not have a hard top; if I cannot eat it with a fork it’s too hard.

Other ingredients: I grew up eating Mac & Cheese with tuna, I know that will never have wide spread appeal. That said adding local great ingredients are one thing that will turn a good Mac & Cheese into a great one. The great ones that remember have had: crawfish, Tasso and kielbasa (not all together). The best one I remember had freshly creamed corn and green peppers.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:42 PM   #25
Assistant Cook

Thanks for all the tips, I never thought to try velveeta in combination with the other cheeses. Something I will have to try since I have had the cheese break up on me. I can't wait to try it!
Old 12-20-2009, 12:48 PM   #26
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfanchris View Post
Thanks for all the tips, I never thought to try velveeta in combination with the other cheeses. Something I will have to try since I have had the cheese break up on me. I can't wait to try it!
You can't make a cheese sauce with just milk and cheese (you need starch to keep the sauce together). I have a recipe that calls for just milk and cheese that suddenly stopped working (the sauce would break). Turns out that I originally used a processed cheese product (like Velveeta) but it started failing when I changed to real cheese.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:53 PM   #27
Master Chef

i disagree with the velveeta. tooooooooo creamy & lacks texture. if i wanted baby food, i'd get a jar of that! way yummier with bechamel/sharp cheeses like cheddar with a few crumbles of bleu. just like deli cheese is way more yummy than individual singles.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:02 PM   #28
Sous Chef

Site Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Andy R Send a message via AIM to Andy R Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Yahoo to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
You can't make a cheese sauce with just milk and cheese (you need starch to keep the sauce together). I have a recipe that calls for just milk and cheese that suddenly stopped working (the sauce would break). Turns out that I originally used a processed cheese product (like Velveeta) but it started failing when I changed to real cheese.
I agree. I have done this and the cheese/milk coagulates. You need a binding agent (starch) for it work out well. A tiny bit of flour works nicely...
Old 12-21-2009, 09:34 PM   #29
Master Chef

that's why i am advocting bechamel. cheeses blend beautifully into the flour/fat/milk blend.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:55 PM   #30
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs View Post
i disagree with the velveeta. tooooooooo creamy & lacks texture. if i wanted baby food, i'd get a jar of that! way yummier with bechamel/sharp cheeses like cheddar with a few crumbles of bleu. just like deli cheese is way more yummy than individual singles.
I make a macaroni and cheese that has a bechamel (or white sauce to some) and grated sharp cheddar, along with more cheese in 1/2 inch cubes mixed in with the noodles. This way after baking there is a creamy cheese sauce and nice bursts of cheese.

But then again I often pick up the Kraft deluxe dinner with.....you guessed it....Velveeta! Or if I want mac and cheese in a hurry, I have even been known to boil my macaroni, then nuke some cheese whiz and butter together, drain the noodles and mix in the melted mixture and eat! Yum!

So I go to both ends of the spectrum!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None